Second Skin Audio

oversized ported box?

CorNut

I got some old (new/unused) gear for a family member to use. It's an Audiopipe APSM-1300 & a 10" Pioneer Champion Pro TS-W250D2D combo that cost $150. The sub says maximum 1.2 cu ft for a ported box, I did a rough measurement of the box I'm building and it's close to 2 cu ft. It's a 2ohm DVC sub, 800RMS, 3000peak & the amp is supposedly 1000w RMS @1ohm. Where I did the fiberglass mold is a recessed area in the trunk, I didn't realize it was so big. I'm too far along to start over, apparently my math was bad in the planning stages. Should I find another sub for the build? I have a few more layers of fiberglass to do plus install the front (wood), I'll have time to finish it next week. This was supposed to be a cheap upgrade so I'd hate to spend more on a better sub if it can be avoided.

Being a cheap sub and not finding much for reviews/info, I'm not sure how it'd hold up.

Yup, if I up it from a 3" or 4" port, it'll need to be longer than the box can accommodate unless I use 90's, that'd get confusing for me. I was thinking I can put some dowels in there as support which would help(down to ~1.75?), maybe I need to read up on how to calculate elbows.

I think I figured it out, instead of a round port, I can do a ~1.5"x12" slotted port. I'll have to do a lot of angles but it should drop the box volume to where it needs to be and it'll maintain ~35hz tuning. This is going in the back corner of a Grand Prix, with that style of port, it'll be on the baffle/firing sideways like the sub.

This change would make my port area 18 sq inch with an 8:1 aspect ratio on a (hopefully) 1.2 cu ft enclosure. Would I be better off keeping it large with a round port? That's a lot less work if there's no real benefit adhering to Pioneer's max vented size. I'm unsure on the dependability of these subs, the amp (.15 THD) is rated @ 1000w RMS, sub is rated @ 800w RMS

I'm off to a bad start, I split the wood in a few spots. I'll use wood glue plus reinforce those areas with fiberglass, I've yet to have a box go as planned. 

edit*  added a photo of the box. It's ugly, It's just the mold attached to the sides. I'll be (hopefully) finishing it next week

IMG_20180715_085919.jpg

Didnt read everything. But, A I doubt half a cube will matter, and it seems like OEM always "recommends" on the smaller side, and B eating up half a cube is easy. Stick a 18 pack of beer or, wood in the box (help with strength anyway) if its that big of a deal. 

HonestLy dude, I think you're over thinking it. Just lane the box alone at its current commune of 2 cubes. You'll get better lows from it anyway likely. As Kyle mentioned, manufacturers often times suggest a low end figure to look more attractive and be able to fit an average application. I don't think 2 cubes is going to kill you on this build. Worst case, you need to back the gain on the amp off a little bit so you are sending a bit less power to the sub and gain some cone control back of it sounds funky. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

3 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

HonestLy dude, I think you're over thinking it. Just lane the box alone at its current commune of 2 cubes. You'll get better lows from it anyway likely. As Kyle mentioned, manufacturers often times suggest a low end figure to look more attractive and be able to fit an average application. I don't think 2 cubes is going to kill you on this build. Worst case, you need to back the gain on the amp off a little bit so you are sending a bit less power to the sub and gain some cone control back of it sounds funky. 

5 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Didnt read everything. But, A I doubt half a cube will matter, and it seems like OEM always "recommends" on the smaller side, and B eating up half a cube is easy. Stick a 18 pack of beer or, wood in the box (help with strength anyway) if its that big of a deal. 

round it is then. That'll make life easier

On 7/14/2018 at 11:10 PM, CorNut said:

Yup, if I up it from a 3" or 4" port, it'll need to be longer than the box can accommodate unless I use 90's, that'd get confusing for me. I was thinking I can put some dowels in there as support which would help(down to ~1.75?), maybe I need to read up on how to calculate elbows.

A 4" port is going to be to small for that setup.

Archived