can i ask what the point of overlap is on the dyno? i understand in a daily where you may want to use a remote gain to adjust for quieter tracks, ut for a straight dyno test where you just run up to max clean input i dont get he point.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power rating or not, the amps hold up to abuse to my knowledge. This Orion craze, well let's see where it's at in a year and what product failures are presented. Some think having a tech on site to repair amps at a show is dedication. I see it as a complete lack of quality. Build an amp that doesn't blow up when people need it the most and you won't need a guy there to repair amps... Just my $.02. 

Just because it's Korean doesn't mean anything. The varying components used from good to shit would surprise you. Some op for high end parts, and assembly and testing and you pay for it. Some offer big power for cheap price. 

I can promise you they are not building amps to lose money so where is the savings coming from?

Time will be the judge. 

those orions are full bridge aint they? i dunno same as wolfram basically (i think?)   

i mean shit id like to run some big power but i cant see myself replacing the amps i have with anything else, if i need more power id add more amps

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

I mean Orion is a way bigger company than any of the others it was tested against and likely moves way more volume, more volume equals cheaper manufacturing cost per amp, they could then pass those savings along to customers.

And lets be honest here, all the company's involved could sell their amps probably at or around the same price point as the orion and still make a decent profit.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

15 hours ago, strangeduck said:

can i ask what the point of overlap is on the dyno? i understand in a daily where you may want to use a remote gain to adjust for quieter tracks, ut for a straight dyno test where you just run up to max clean input i dont get he point.

I don't remember if it was this video or another but I thought it was -10 track...I could be wrong (watched so many of these videos lately from different people)

I trust Big D so I would think for comparisons sake he would use the same track/setting on all these 3k amps he's testing against each other for overlap to keep all things the same except for the amp itself.  

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Orion was king of the hill when their company was based in Tempe, Arizona.  I believe that had something to do with the Arizonans making them.  Same with Rockford Fosgate.  Same with MTX.

The Arizona heat created better soldering environment.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

45 minutes ago, Karkov said:

I don't remember if it was this video or another but I thought it was -10 track...I could be wrong (watched so many of these videos lately from different people)

I trust Big D so I would think for comparisons sake he would use the same track/setting on all these 3k amps he's testing against each other for overlap to keep all things the same except for the amp itself.  

i know what track he used, i was curious as to the why

Archived