Lets Talk About Vintage Car Audio

Dear God in Heaven does this thread depress me.

I'd give it all away just to travel back in time and experience the good old days. I was late to this party and I think I missed out on the real action...

I'm gonna make a thread in a few hours showing off all my old school gear. I don't have much of anything but I cherish it like it's chocolate dipped in gold and encrusted with diamonds.

Thank you to SPL2K for starting this thread and a big thanks to BigD for making videos of your gear, I watch them religiously.

Nothing but old school!

01 Saturn SL1

Sony CDX GT500 H/U

Polk DB651 in front doors

Profile AMP121 on Polks

US Amps USA400 on sub

One 12" Cadence Ultra 6ohm

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not a ton of us old schooler's out there still into car audio, but we have a dedicated crowd! My goal is to make a video version of the magazines we all read back in the day...

Slammin', since you are a Lanzar fan, check these out...

Lanzar Opti 50c's - 1st gen (blue) and 2nd gen (black)

i-QnDV22R-M.jpg

i-bVLfnth-M.jpg

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

There's not a ton of us old schooler's out there still into car audio, but we have a dedicated crowd! My goal is to make a video version of the magazines we all read back in the day...

Slammin', since you are a Lanzar fan, check these out...

Lanzar Opti 50c's - 1st gen (blue) and 2nd gen (black)

i-QnDV22R-M.jpg

i-bVLfnth-M.jpg

Love it! BigD, you might remember me once I post a pic of one of my amps. Do you remember the Autotek I asked you about on youtube?

Nothing but old school!

01 Saturn SL1

Sony CDX GT500 H/U

Polk DB651 in front doors

Profile AMP121 on Polks

US Amps USA400 on sub

One 12" Cadence Ultra 6ohm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

im still rocking the factory option am radio in one of my rides (with single 8ohm 6x9)

thats right no tape and no fm

2776684150060682858S600x600Q85.jpg

(not my pic but same car and radio)

there was even a second radio option that was removable so if you went to the races or picnic you could lission to it

• 2 months later...

Anyone remember the old JC Whitney catalogs from like the mid 90's, I'd swear they used to have a dual tape deck car radio. I remember the tape player that could record.

• pa-pa-platypus

• sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

I really like reading everyone's memories as they were similar to mine.

My first ride was a 1990 Isuzu lowered PUP with 15" eagle 5-stars, was the lowest ride at my high school in 1992.(used to scrape over all the speed bumps even going at an angle :) lol ) Came with a spark-o-matic 2 knob tape player with 6x9s in the door. Saved up my money to buy a Lanzar 12 from AudioExpress and a used Kenwood KDC-93R.Thought it was so cool walking around with the black case logic pullout bag. Built my first speaker box (wedge) that fit behind the bucket seats. First real amp was a used 225 HCCA that needed the 400BDG module. Then added an Orion 300phd preamp which I thought really tuned my system. I used to drive by the Orion building on Julie Dr. in Tempe just dreaming of working there one day. Anyways fast forward 20 years and many systems later I have passed on my car stereo knowledge to my son and proud to see him doing his own thing.

• 6 years later...

Archived