Battery Wire Overheating?

Where all is the wire getting hot?

Through the entire length of wire or only in a certain spot?

When you have a point where a wire gets hot enough to melt plastic and no where else you might want to check the connection for tightness, more often than not a connection getting loose will begin to get hot from the resistance of the connection.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

4 hours ago, Skullz said:

When you have a point where a wire gets hot enough to melt plastic and no where else you might want to check the connection for tightness, more often than not a connection getting loose will begin to get hot from the resistance of the connection.

I'm on this dudes team. The choke point of a poopy connection is what will cause amperage to peg, and then heat and melt stuff. I highly doubt your set up can even supply enough amperage to make a 1/0 cable get that hot, (stock alt right? One OEM battery? Correct)  unless its poo cable. I'd look at a better fuse holder, with better connections myself first. 

4 hours ago, Skullz said:

The wire is heating up just after the fuse from the battery it isnt near anything like an exhaust pipe or anything that gets hot enough to melt plastic. Im going to take the cable out today and see if i can find a bad connection and go from there. Blows my mind that knukonceptz has a 1/0 wire kit for about the same price I paid for this wire I have so for now Im going to check all connections and crimps. (I dont have access to a bench crimper and couldnt find anything that would do it so I used a hammer and Im guessing now that I may have a bad connection there even though the wire doesnt move at all?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Again I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas. !

Never hammer crimp lugs on. There are nice hydraulic crimpers on ebay for around 30 bucks. Yellow ones. Ive had a pair for awhile now. Used them alot. Work great. Hold up great.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/10Ton-Hydraulic-Wire-Terminal-Crimper-Battery-Cable-Lug-Crimping-Tool-8Dies-Case/253688391921?hash=item3b1101a8f1%3Ag%3A6PEAAOSwwTlbIiBu&_nkw=hydraulic+crimper&_from=R40&rt=nc

Harbor freight has hydraulic crimpers for like $35, get yourself a set.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived