Sonic Electronix

Help with what type of metal to use under the hood (fuse holder base)

With my current install my dual fuse holder has bent over time with heat and the weight of 2 runs of 1/0. To fix this with my replacement I plan on using a sheet of metal cut to about 4" by 5 1/2" by ?? " thick. 

My question is what type of metal should I use since it will be going in the engine compartment I want to avoid bare metal so it won't rust but I also want it to be sturdy. I have a rotozip to cut a bigger sheet down to my desired size, but just looking for input on the material and where to buy. 

If you have any ideas I am open to them. 

Thanks

Aluminum doesn't rust, or stainless steel. Either would be good candidates in my opinion. Aluminum will oxidize over time though, so something to be aware of. Instead of having it be bare metal, why not just paint a piece of steel in black paint? You can use high temp paint or under body coating as well and be fine I think.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Is Rust-Oleum any good ? I like the idea of just painting the metal instead of using aluminum. 

I'm avoiding abs because I can only mount it on one end of the piece. 

I had to mount it above the outside relay box, because I have practically nowhere else to fit it. The relay box lid has a flat portion but then goes downward with a slope towards the bumper.

tumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o5_540.jpg

SMD reached out to me and sent me a brand new one, hence why I'm trying to add a metal plate underneath so I can avoid this from happening.

Small engine bay 

tumblr_p86ktohIr51xsodn1o2_540.jpgtumblr_p8ldyewhim1xsodn1o4_540.jpg

I used a piece of sheet metal that I cut and shaped to fit. Primed and painted it and it's been working great for a 3 fuse holder, no rust or any issues. I would post a pic of it but don't have enough space on the forum to post it.

Archived