Second Skin Audio

2 12 inch skar evls box help

Ok.  So I've been researching and I'm sure the general idea of what om asking has been answered but I need it to be specific to my scenario for it to make sense in my brain.  I want to build a box, but the extent of my understanding is limited.  How do I figure out the specifics of the box without owning a program like bass box pro?  I've used re box calculator and I thought that was good, but theres soooooooo much more to it.   Not exactly toy sure how to figure out port area and how it applies to mu woofers.   How many of the speakers parameters need to be used to build a good box?  I have very basic box building skills.   I just wanna make something decent.  So what I think I want is a net area of around 2 cubic ft per woofer with a tuning of 32 hz. Well, the manual says 37 hz. The site says 32 hz.  I want the speaker to be able to hit the lower frequencies. I listen to a decent amount of rap and electronic music.  Space giant an issue. I have a ton of room, was just going by the manufactured specs.  Sorry this is so long winded just trying to be clear.   Slot port? Aero port?  Which is going to be the easiest to build?  Thanks in advance for any help.  AMD if you read this whole thing thanks even more.  Haha.  I have a hifonics zex3350 pushing them.  ,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the site calls for 24 square inches of port area, do I double that for 2 woofers?  In Re box calculator I have

36 long x 15 high x 21 deep

3.5 wide port, 16.75 long

giving me 47.25 port area

4.6 cf gross

tuned at 31 and change

I'm thinking after speaker displacement and bracing it will put me at about 4 cubic feet with a tuning around 32 hz.  Does this look good?  Am I missing something?  (probably)  

Thanks!

How much port area you need depends on how much power you are running, how big the box is, and what your tuning frequency is.  On about 4.5 cubes and 3300 watts I'd run around 75 sq in of port area. 

The RE Audio box calculator doesn't take into account sub displacement, which is .3 cubes in your case.  So the tuning frequency and net volume is going to be off a bit.  If you download Torres box calculator it does a better job.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

How much port area you need depends on how much power you are running, how big the box is, and what your tuning frequency is.  On about 4.5 cubes and 3300 watts I'd run around 75 sq in of port area. 

The RE Audio box calculator doesn't take into account sub displacement, which is .3 cubes in your case.  So the tuning frequency and net volume is going to be off a bit.  If you download Torres box calculator it does a better job.  

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with 75 sq inches?  Do you have a program?  Do the speaker specs tell you?

3 hours ago, Twistedmister said:

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with 75 sq inches?  Do you have a program?  Do the speaker specs tell you?

I came up with that number after modeling your enclosure in WinISD.  75 sq in is the minimum port area needed to keep peak port velocity under 32 m/sec.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

15 hours ago, Basshead911 said:

Did you end up with a good enclosure design? Just wanted to follow this thread as I just finished the install of 2 EVL-12's in my Jeep...

Thanks man I did.  I was emailing skar themesleves (great customer service) and they gave me a cut list an measurements, just finished the box today.  It's a little rough but seems to sound pretty good.  The speakers are new so I'm breaking them in, I'll be able to hammer them and really see in a week or two hopefully.  Howd yours turn out?  

I couldn't be happier with the enclosure! This thing slams hard! I did do mine different by placing my subs up and port back...im not sure if that hurts or helps but with it being in the back of a 4 door Jeep, I wasn't sure how god it would sound with everything facing either the seat or the tailgate....there is literally 8 inches between the box and the tailgate and its jammed right up against the back seats! Overall I think the size and tuning is spot on! I am also breaking in these subs. Maybe have a hour play time on these thus far.... I would be very interested to hear if your subs mimic mine. Im afraid that mine are acting funky because I placed them on a different plane than the port. I didn't ask Skar about that before I did it. Everything I could read said that it didn't make much difference! Let me know how yours are going! 

Archived