Second Skin Audio

2 12 inch skar evls box help

Have you noticed any anomalies with your subs yet? Mine still sound pretty good but I'm getting a strange crackling or slight popping noise from one of them....I can't figure it out? The gain on the amp is set under half, the bass knob is under half so I don't think its a gain matching issue, I get zero distortion at all and the low notes are amazing...its almost like maybe one the voice coils is not working properly? UGH....I just want to know I didn't just waste a bunch of money! Hopefully yours is doing perfectly! I need to eventually upgrade the alternator on mine....

I'd say try and get ahold of the dd1.  I think that's it.  The distortion detector.  I haven't noticed anything weird on mine. I'll listen close tomorrow.  I'm just curious what half way is.  I have my amp set nornal. I'm just controlling the subs with my sub output on my EQ. They sound super good tho si far.  I have a feeling they're going to slam pretty good.  I had a machete supersport 15 but I was just beating the snot out of it.  It was getting really warm.  Probably because I had 2k watts going to a 1300 watt speaker.   So far reall hapoy with the evls tho.  What's your go to songs to test?

Saying the gain is halfway or normal means nothing. If your gain isnt set to match the voltage the headunit puts out then your loading your woofers with distortion wich will kill them. Also most bass knobs arent a true gain knob and imo shouldnt b used as they also introduce distortion. When you start running higher power woofers distortion becomes a huge factor that can burn up equipment fast. The only way to properly set gains is the dd1 or oscope.

6 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Saying the gain is halfway or normal means nothing. If your gain isnt set to match the voltage the headunit puts out then your loading your woofers with distortion wich will kill them. Also most bass knobs arent a true gain knob and imo shouldnt b used as they also introduce distortion. When you start running higher power woofers distortion becomes a huge factor that can burn up equipment fast. The only way to properly set gains is the dd1 or oscope.

I have to agree with this here.  I used the dd1 to set my deck, then eq, then amp.  It's a handy lil sucker. Worth the money f you're doing any serious car audio.   

If you do it, do it right IMO... this was 81in2 of port in 5ft3 net tuned to around 30hz and it slammed...

aZP3Zau.jpg

n1R2oS2.jpg

That said... it was bottom heavy for sure, I lost  some SPL tuning so low

I sold the subs/amps since but if I wanted to do it again I'd probably tune a lil' higher. That 30hz tune was fun but I like a higher tune so as to not lose as much output... decaf rebassed was fun to be sure, but a 33-34hz tune would have been spot on for my tastes IMO.

Those EVL's do pretty good and I liked the low end, but a slightly higher tune is something I wish I had tried... it got close to a 150 with a different box/tune but wasn't musical (Burp box).

I built the Skar recommended enclosure at first but it limited output on my power, for around 3-3.5K of input this might serve nicely with a slightly higher tune IMO..

YFzLC2.jpg

K1bAca.jpg

NVLvdH.jpg

As far as setting gains... mine were under 9 O'clock at clipping... I agree, it's all about matching the signal. What did you end up with as an enclosure?

I went with the manufacture cut list they sent me.  It was about 4.2 cubic ft tuned to around 34hz.  Sounds good so far.  Kind of a big box tho, trying to move it around is a PIA.  I even put handles on it and it doesn't help.  haha.  in about a week I'll be able to turn it up some and see what they can do.  Right now the bass is pretty low but still sounding good and clean. That looks like a nice box.  I miffed the speaker cutout on one of my holes.  larger than i wouldve liked, but still worked. 

Skar's cutout recommendation used to be oversized above what's needed... what a PITA!.. I had to center the sub carefully and angle the screws outward with my son depressing the surround. All ended up well but I was pissed at first cause the cutout was so large. 

How much port area did Skar specify H" x W" ?

On 7/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, Basshead911 said:

Have you noticed any anomalies with your subs yet? Mine still sound pretty good but I'm getting a strange crackling or slight popping noise from one of them....I can't figure it out? The gain on the amp is set under half, the bass knob is under half so I don't think its a gain matching issue, I get zero distortion at all and the low notes are amazing...its almost like maybe one the voice coils is not working properly? UGH....I just want to know I didn't just waste a bunch of money! Hopefully yours is doing perfectly! I need to eventually upgrade the alternator on mine....

Hey man.  Was listening up close to mine.  I've got some are leaks around the woofers and it makes like a rattle popping kinda noise.  Make sure you're air tight. Fack.  Gotta figure out how to deal mine better.  But otherthan that super happy. :)

Archived