Second Skin Audio

Obsidian Audio 18 Enclosure Assistance

image91

8 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

For what you want to do, I don't think the X-15 is going to be much of an improvement.  Like Joe said, you are going to lose some efficiency from the smaller cone size, and while you can make up for that with some more power in the end you just aren't going to gain a whole lot.  

My suggestion would be to get a different 18" that has more motor strength AND can take more power.  An Fi SSD Neo 18 could handle 2500 watts just fine and would be a good choice.  There are other good choices as well. 

Basically, all i really want is that low range of 28Hz-36Hz filling the cabin completely. Want those notes to hit in a solid way, bubbling, compression etc. Right now with the OA-18 it picks the notes up but it doesn't give that effect. It more gives a similar effect in the 36Hz-40Hz range.

Due to the fact that the main battle is the OA-18 not having a really powerful motor for its' cone size, was hoping that the more powerful X-Series motor with a smaller sized cone would be a great option. The OA-18 has everything except what i was really looking for. It literally feels like when it comes to those lower tones the OA is just holding back & from all appearances it just seems like the issues you stated with motor/cone size. i have a friend with a single SA-10 in a T-Line & his lower notes are louder than mine O_o Not to mention smoother & more full. This is what made me consider the X-12 T-Line.

Was really hoping to stick with Sundown family this time around. i was also unwilling to upgrade my power into that 2500wrms category as 1200wrms is the most power i've ever run & i've gotten better low end output but with multiple subs. After hearing the SA-10 i figured if done properly i can get that low end from a single sub. Hence the OA-18. So far it hasn't been suited for my application. Is there anything else in the Sundown line that you think I can use to get the low end i hope for? From what i read/heard, the X-Series is made just for that. But just like the OA, i don't know first hand. This is why i very much appreciate all the input from you guys.

i hope that i am not coming across as though i am not hearing your advice because i definitely am. i am just trying to make sure that what i am looking for is not misunderstood or doesn't come across exaggerated. From all appearances the X-15 would have been fine as long as it plays those frequencies the OA-18 is lacking in. i cut the sub at 40Hz @ 24db/30db/36db slope so that the higher notes taper off to blend more reasonably with my midbass & doesn't overpower everything. Trying for musicality more than anything. If you all honestly don't think that the X-15 is a decent enough step up on low end then i will surely look into something else.

8 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

You wouldn't happen to be in texas would you? I'm selling my DD 9518...

What vehicle are you working with?

Apologies bro, i'm actually from the Caribbean. Working with a Toyota 141 08 Fielder Wagon. Wish you luck getting your 9518 sold. That's a beast of a sub there O_o Installed a 15 for a friend once, good stuff =)

6 hours ago, Joe X said:

If multiple drivers is the way to go and don't mind the expense, simply two X12s would do the job in 5 net and could be run on 2.5K all the way to 4K+. 

So then we model 1 X18v2 in 7net@32Hz, 1500W power (in yellow) vs in 2 X12v1 5net@32Hz, 3000W power (in red):

212vs118.jpg

So it seems both options basically match output with the two X12s pushing ahead at tuning quite a bit, no doubt the single X18 is a more inexpensive setup but if you really want the smaller box there is a way too.

Joe, if only i could afford two X-12s, lol. Notice me mentioning two SA-12s? haha. Definitely don't have anywhere near the budget for two X-12s unfortunately. The X-18, push come to shove, can still fit but there would be a fair amount of serious inconveniences that i thought would be going overboard for a daily driven system. 

Decisions decisions.

All the input/help is appreciated as always guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo, just to get some added insight, i sent an e-mail to Nick to see if by some longshot he would be able to critique any details on the current setup. Looking for a reason or two to modify the enclosure to fire up & so if there are any adjustments i can possibly make it will justify it even more so. So far from what you guys stated i already feel as if it's a lost cause but this is my one last hope probably. lol

By chance, is 1200wrms a bit past the point of diminishing returns for this sub? Saw a couple people stating they wouldn't cross 1000w with it so figured i'd ask O_o

14 hours ago, image91 said:

i currently have 1200wrms on it & am curious as to if i should use something smaller on it to prevent mentioned damage O_o

Its a lot harder to damage a sub with too much power, as long as its clean, than you might think.  Your sub only sees full power from your amp for very brief moments, and that's only if you are blasting it at absolute full volume.  Your sub will usually tell you you are giving it too much (start to smell) before you smoke the coil anyway.    What kills subs is clipping and playing too far below tuning without a properly set subsonic filter.  I wouldn't worry about 1200 watts to your sub. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Noted. Will double check the subsonic filter & maybe re-set the gain just to be safe. Might consider using 1000w in calculations vs the 1200w when meter tuning & see how it affects the output.

No reply from Nick thus far. Still very tempted to modify/adjust/remake box to fire up. Just realized i've never turned the box around to fire port forward. Think i'll try this later today & see how i like it = D

Heard our local Sundown dealer describe an X-12 system he tuned recently & the lows sounded like my kinda lows. lol. The X still tempts me O_o Hoping to hear one soon, maybe that will help me as i'll have something to compare the 18 to.

Thanks again Joe & Triticum Agricolam! (No idea what to repectfully call you for short O_o)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived