Second Skin Audio

Trunk 4th orders...

DiBo

Opinions on these? Can they be loud? From my research all a bandpass does is broaden the bandwidth of an enclosure. So basically a 4th is more "musical" correct? Asking tons of questions lately for 2 builds. Was thinking 4-15's in fourth in my SUV and 1-15 ported ( current setup) in car but now I'm toying with the idea if 1-15 or 2-12's in fourth in my trunk and maybe flat wall of 6 in my Navi. I build and haven't built in a couple months so itch itch. Should I just stick with ported for trunk and fourth for suv? Pros and cons? 

The guys at Fi said they're over 4th orders... Ported or sixth orders are their preference now. I'm a newbie to bandpass so somebody toss a brotha a bone here lol. Worth the trouble or no? Trunk wall with 2 twelves seems popular choice... Because it's easier or louder or cleaner? I jus wanna slap hard like E. Honda y'all. But I want true basshead type shit tho, a respectable clean build. 

Loudest box style for a given volume is ported. 

Bandpass gives a variety of characteristics in playability, but take up more volume than a ported box. If you wanna get a 150 out the trunk, ported is king. If you want to play down to 20hz or have a flat response over your playing range, you’ll need to toy around with a bandpass (4th or 6th, depending on subs or style choices). 

Best way to learn, IMO, is to download WinISD and learn how to play with the program. Run every scenario you can run and see how the graphs change as you change the inputs. Box volume, port area, subwoofer, etc etc. Lots to learn by playing with software simulations/calculators.  

BassBox6 or Hornresp are needed for Series 6th order enclosures. Otherwise, WinISD is pretty good with the rest of the enclosure styles. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I bet I'm starting to sound redundant AF right about now. I think I've honestly decided finally and will be happiest with ported in my trunk with 2 heavy duty 12's. I have an X12 now but would recone to dual 2 and get another on that wolf. It'll be musical, the .5 load will fight rise ( batteries on sale today too at d4s) lol and it'll pound. Whatever numbers I get... I get. It'll sound good. And I can swap to zv5 or team Fi if I really get the 150 itch. 

If you got the time and money to do something like thhis then go for it. I bet this is not the first or second revision of this set up. Also who is to say it is any louder than a regular ported enclosure sealed off from the trunk.

Time for sure.  And maybe money if you have to rebuild.  We're installing a small 4th order in my buddy's JK Wrangler.  It seems kinda dumb... (4) 8s in a 4th, what a waste of space.  Couldve done (1) or (2) 12s in a ported box and called it a day.  BUT, it plays everything down past 20Hz without needing a subsonic filter set.  And it sounds good.  We dig it.  Should be done in a couple weeks.  Check it out in my sig if youre interested in a small 4th.  We had to redesign it a couple times to get it right, but its been fun along the way.   And we're really proud of the outcome.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, ckeeler11 said:

If you got the time and money to do something like thhis then go for it. I bet this is not the first or second revision of this set up. Also who is to say it is any louder than a regular ported enclosure sealed off from the trunk.

I'm up for a challenge. Isn't that the whole point of this hobby? To challenge ourselves and enjoy loud, clean music haha. I do have kids tho and don't wanna waste any money... Experience and learning something new isn't a waste on the other hand. Jus tryna have fun. Thank for the input. 

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Time for sure.  And maybe money if you have to rebuild.  We're installing a small 4th order in my buddy's JK Wrangler.  It seems kinda dumb... (4) 8s in a 4th, what a waste of space.  Couldve done (1) or (2) 12s in a ported box and called it a day.  BUT, it plays everything down past 20Hz without needing a subsonic filter set.  And it sounds good.  We dig it.  Should be done in a couple weeks.  Check it out in my sig if youre interested in a small 4th.  We had to redesign it a couple times to get it right, but its been fun along the way.   And we're really proud of the outcome.

Jus seen this this morning. Does seem a bit much but I bet it was fun huh? And rewarding too. I like it. Appreciate you chiming in. 

Archived