Second Skin Audio

Constructing Sub Box with 1/2 inch wood using fiberglass to re enforce help

Because space was an issue we decided to design my dual 12 inch sub box using 1/2 inch MDF/PLY if im worried about it blowing apart or not being able to take the weight and cracking. 

Please give me some advice on how to go about re enforcing the inside using Resin and or Resin and Fibreglass mat.

Never done fibreglass before but ive seem how to mix and coat the inside of a box for a smooth finish is this what I want or do i need to add some fibreglass chopmat down also ?

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

2020 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

8 x DS18 6.5 Pro x6m - mids 

2 x Soundsteam SST-05 Bullet Tweeter

2 x DS18 TW220 Super Tweeters

4 X SkarAudio EVL-8  BASS

Big 3 

Yellow Top

Fiberglass in a flat plane is very weak. it is strongest with curves in it. That being said, you could do that on the seams but you will need to find a way to reinforce the walls. It will be difficult to keep them from resonating being so thin

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

1 minute ago, baaudio said:

Fiberglass in a flat plane is very weak. it is strongest with curves in it. That being said, you could do that on the seams but you will need to find a way to reinforce the walls. It will be difficult to keep them from resonating being so thin

ok scrap the fibreglass idea . bedliner on the outside of the box do anything for me ? i really cant afford to use 3/4 wood i will loose alot of internal volume.

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

Big 3 

Yellow Top

Are you building a ported enclosure? If so you should be doing a sealed one. In teh end you will most likely end up with better performance because of all teh compromises you are going to have to make to get 10 lbs of shit in a 5 bag. If it is sealed then maybe you need to think about doing a single 12 or dual 10. Again you are better off with fewer compromises.

6 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

Are you building a ported enclosure? If so you should be doing a sealed one. In teh end you will most likely end up with better performance because of all teh compromises you are going to have to make to get 10 lbs of shit in a 5 bag. If it is sealed then maybe you need to think about doing a single 12 or dual 10. Again you are better off with fewer compromises.

Yes its ported  and im trying to not have to buy new subs since i already have these. only the box designer seems to have faith

My Build log :

Current System

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

Big 3 

Yellow Top

go buy some 1" wooden dowels and use them to brace the box, or build a window brace. i would at least make the baffle 3/4" if you can.

Archived