Second Skin Audio

2 Skar Audio 12's ported in common chamber, help?

I have just recently gotten back into the Car Audio scene since the mid 90's and I can't believe all the advancments! I have built my first enclosure in almost 20 years and I have some questions.

Its a slotted vent enclosure with 2 12" Skar Audio EVL-12's. I was given the dimensions by the guys over at Skar audio, so I'm pretty confident in the design and tuning. Its in a 2011Jeep Wrangler, subs up port back. It is being pushed by a single RP-2000.1D. Subs wired in parallel so amp sees 1 ohm load. Jeep only has Big 3 electrical upgrades for now. 

My question is, in a vented enclosure, is it normal for the subs to move slightly off from one another? They definitely aren't out of phase and they are both moving in the same direction at the same time, but one seems to move slightly more than the other at times? Not always though so it may be frequency dependent?? I have a shot video clip, just not sure if I can post that here. Can it have anything to do with sub placement in relation to the port opening for the slotted vent? Ill attach a few pics of the enclosure being built for reference. Thanks and mu apologies if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything specific. 

Looks like if you follow the link below you can see the enclosure and the video of what I'm experiencing. 

https://flic.kr/p/29nz6ro

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way that can happen is if one sub is loading off of a something internal to the enclosure.

What are the specs on the box? it looks like it is tuned really high but pictures can be deceiving.

Here are the specs I was given and I followed them exactly.

For (2) EVL-12’s in a vented enclosure, these are the specifications for an enclosure that would be best for that application. Tuned @ 34 hz using .75" Birch or MDF wood. Simply the cut list below and assemble using wood glue and screws pre drilled or staples/brad nails.

Outside Dimensions
36"W x 14"H x 25"D

Port dimensions are 6.5"W x 12.5"H x 36.25"L

Bottom: 36" x 25"

Top: 36" x 25"

Left: 24.25" x 12.5"

Right: 23.5" x 12.5"

Back: 36" x 12.5"

Front: 28.75" x 12.5"

Port 1: 17" x 12.5" 

Port 2: 8" x 12.5"

...and again, they sound perfect. Nice, smooth, loud...I just wanted to make sure that Im not damaging anything. I have never seen subs act this way. They are brand new and still in the "break in" period. I have sent the video to Skar and they had me check the speaker wiring again to ensure that nothing was wired incorrectly, they also said it might be a tuning issue and to check the internet for some tuning advice. Can this be caused by tuning? Also one last time, Im really satisfied with the way it sounds and Skar has been really supportive....just want to make sure there isn't something ive missed or something I can do to make sure the system lasts a good long time. Thanks again! 

Archived