Second Skin Audio

Volume of a 2' octogon box

DiBo

Easiest way ( that I can think of) to maximize airspace in my sealed section of a 4th order I'm building is to utilize the spare tire well for airspace. My battery rack was a 2x2 piece if plywood with the corners cut off. I can get that all the way down to the bottom of the spare tire well. I know the best way is 3/4 mdf stack but fuss all that!! I don't need every drop of airspace, just about 1ft³ or more if possible. 2x2 octagon say... 8" tall maybe? What would be the volume of that? And if someone figures this out can you do 6", 8" and 10" for me? Trying to reserve brain power here and not overthink shit but I'm willing to do the math 100% if someone has a formula. Iirc it's triangles to get this but it's early and I'm sure term pro or SketchUp would be easiest but I have neither atm. The plan is to have said 2' octogon box come up through the 3/4 trunk floor ( which is the bottom of the sealed side). It makes sense and I can see it in my head guys. Octogon box has no top to it... The top kicks out to the left and right and rises above trunk floor ( bottom of ported chamber). Sounds confusing but it's actually a pretty simple idea. Imagine an octagon box with a rectangular piece of plywood glued to the top... Okay that didn't help lol

24x24x8 is 1.90 cubes so I'll get at least a valuable 1ft³ minimal with this. Worth it. Building 2.5 sealed chamber 4th with 4.5-5ft³ ported above it for 2 12's. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. I can't stress this enough. I learn here. Thank you. 

For an irregular shaped one like that i'd just use what would be the internal dimension of the square/rectangular shape and subtract the volume ot the corner being removed (x4)

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

6 minutes ago, Markous said:

For an irregular shaped one like that i'd just use what would be the internal dimension of the square/rectangular shape and subtract the volume ot the corner being removed (x4)

That was actually for my battery rack. Which was slapped together temporarily for testing different Subs so don't judge lol. The shape can actually be even on all sides. I was thinking of just making a 2-foot by 2-foot box and cutting the damn Corners off haha. Will be 3/4 MDF

23 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

I use this link for the area of an octagon... then multiply the value by height

https://rechneronline.de/pi/octagon.php

So this is calculating into cubic inches? You only need to insert the value of 1. So I inserted the 24in side e and times that by 8 and I believe that gave me an answer of 3816 cubic inches which is a little over 2 cubic feet... The problem is it doesn't account for the material. I'm embarrassed I haven't been to math class in years. 

Mark just put up a video recently with calculating air space in a spare-tire well build. Not sure if this video is helpful to you or not, but should give you some ideas.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Judging by eyeball on your drawing, my math says at 8" height, you're at roughly 2.12 cubes and those corner sections are about .08 cubes in total. You should be dang close to 2 cubes net. I got to this number assuming those triangle sections are 4X4 and the total internal height is 7.25"(taking away the bottom layer being wood). You'd only subtract .75 inches since to would be open to rest of enclosure. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

50 minutes ago, CleanSierra said:

Judging by eyeball on your drawing, my math says at 8" height, you're at roughly 2.12 cubes and those corner sections are about .08 cubes in total. You should be dang close to 2 cubes net. I got to this number assuming those triangle sections are 4X4 and the total internal height is 7.25"(taking away the bottom layer being wood). You'd only subtract .75 inches since to would be open to rest of enclosure. 

Hell yeah bro thank you. Looks like I can get about 75% of the sealed side like this. +/- of course. Will be doing math and design for the next day or 2. By the way... You have me thinking again about the 4th. If I can get this design done soon tho I'm going for it. Thanks for your input. 

Archived