Sonic Electronix

Hello community:  Newbie to the forum here and this seems to be the place to seek proper advise.  I'm working on a '72 C10 that is just about ready to be reassembled for final paint so it's time to purchase audio equipment.  Well it's been 20 years since my last car audio build so I wanted to tap some expertise instead of making expensive errors.  Below you'll find a diagram of the system I have researched together but have questions. I'll preface my questions by explaining my goals first.  I'm not interested in SPL competitions.  I have no intention of seeking out any SQL competitions but won't shy away if we find ourselves in the same parking lot.  I generally listen to Classic Rock, Country, 80's Pop, and Talk Radio in equal ratios. Basically a solid strong system for general middle aged listening and focused on listening quality more than measured quality.  All high end installation practices will be followed.  Sound deadening, speaker aiming, and I'll pay for professional tuning and timing when I get to that point.

1) Resolved, will be using Hertz mids and highs.

2) I've chosen the JL 13TW5 as it's a low profile and my local dealer has assured me that I only need 1.  Who would concur? Who would go with a pair of 10's?  One shop even tells me that ported 8"s are all the rage.  I'm limiting bass to behind the bucket seats from side to side.  Amp may be recessed into 1 side of box if a single sub is used but likely in the center console is a pair is used. This woofer did make me up my amp selection from the VX700/5i to the VX1000/5i as the local guy recommended 600W for it.

3) As mentioned above I like the JL Audio VX amplifier series.  Mostly for the small size and built-in DSP, it accommodates my space issues.

4) Assuming I run the VX1000 amplifier, what power accommodations will I need to expect?  Size of alternator upgrade and number of batteries are what I'm getting at on this one.

Just for shiggles, my truck build can be found here if anyone is interested in "Project Deplorable."     http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=7812007

Thanks to all in advance.  I look forward to some great conversations and sharing progress as I move forward.

Boudy

1849280200_AudioSystem.thumb.jpg.318234eaa136cb6606dbaca5148cb19d.jpg

Archived