Second Skin Audio

Can bad box make subwoofers get hot?

Floyd1692

I bought some Re Audio Se 10" subs the other day..they move good but do get somewhat warm, it seems that they only get warm to a certain point and wont get warmer than that... So far I have not smelled any coils they just get warm.. I gotta admit is hard for me to determine if they are warm or hot i mean it wont burn my hand even i leave it there for some time but there is definitely some heat. I live in New Mexico and the weather is CRAZY hot right now... the other day I took out a Kicker L5 at night at around 9:45 and the magnet was crazy hot still and it was not being played so I was thinking that it could be due to the Magnet/Motors staying hot because of weather ?? Another thing I need to point out is that the box is SHIT!! it completely sucks and when i turn it up I can hear the box knocking...I will be trying to build a box soon.. but could a bad box with leaks and just bad overall cause the Subs to get warmer? 

The Subs were connected first to a Sundown SAE600d at 1 ohm and now they are connected to a Concept Audio CC1200A which suppose to do 1200 rms at 1 ohm but judging from fuses (3 green 30 amp fuses)  im guessing is more like 900-1000 rms. This concept amp has a clip indicator which ive been trying to follow to set the gains... I also made sure I have no bass boost turn on in the H/U other than SLA being at +4... I used a DMM and ear to set the gains the best I could.. couple of weeks ago my DD-1 broke :(.. my electrical is not the best ..everything is stock .. with a tiny battery... running 4 gauge kicker OFC cable... but voltage is still staying above 12.. I dont turn it up in idle and it never drops below 12.5 staying above 12.80 for the most part.  

Last question... How do you determine port length to calculate box tuning? like if a ported box has a slot port and the port wall goes back and turns kinda like a L shape.. hope that last question makes sense.

Archived