Second Skin Audio

If you could have one one 12" sub what would it be?

SMT

I was going to go with the new Sundown U series 12 and run 2500 watts to it until the price of the sub went up $90 on them yesterday.Now for the new $379 price they are I'm deciding to look elsewhere.

My goal is a ported enclosure tuned around  29hz and set subsonic filter at 20hz and lowpass at 55hz ( mids will pick up the rest). I had kind of been out of the loop for the past eight years  and don't really know what's what these days. At the moment I have a single sundown sa10 inch sub with 14 inch port tune at 29 Hz running off of a sundown 1000.1 . I was super impressed with this set up however now I feel like I am hooked again and want to go bigger and push more air.

Last night I spent about 2 1/2 hours on the Internet researching the Orion HCCA sub, and for the money that thing seems pretty promising especially if I run 3000+ watts to it.  The problem is it's impossible to talk to anyone down at Orion and get any information on the sub. Also apparently I have to have a computer just to download any information about the sub. I have not owned a computer in probably seven years since smart phones have been so popular . This morning when I called down there they told me they didn't answer any questions over the phone and then I'd have to email them so I immediately did and I know it's still early but I haven't gotten any response . This also kind of freaks me out about a company if I ever needed their customer service Or warranty issues.

One thing I found on the Internet was they claimed you only need a 20 inch port (12" HCCA 4" voice coil)and that alone freaks me out seeing I get a little bit of Port noise under 30 hz just from the single 10" in 1 cube using a14 inch square port(3.75x3.75) 34" long. I'm thinking to myself there's no way that that HCCA 12 would work with anything less than 28 square inches . 

Anyway I kind of went off the subject a little bit so if you had 2 -2.5 cubed plus port area and displacement of the sub what 12 would you personally go with to achieve my goals?  I am trying really hard to keep it under $400 for the sub .

Keep in mind I love my sound quality also.

thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No question. No contest. 1x12" funky pup. Hands down the best sub in the world.

Daily driver

• Crescendo Audio Encore 4.5k
  • Fi SP4v2 18" ( 5.5 cube vented tuned 27hz)
  • Hertz Millie mid-range, tweets, xovers
  • Hertz SPL Show 10" mid-bass ( 1 cube sealed box)
  • Hertz hdcp 4 channel amp
  • 370 amp mechman hairpin
  • 2x d3400 XS Power batteries
  • 2/0 gauge 100% ofc welding/ground cable (big 3 done)
  • 40 ft.2 second skin pro/ 40 ft.2 dynamat extreme ( doors sealed)

at the end of the day, is any one else's preference on what sub they would buy going to change what you would want to buy? Are you just wanting a list of what people like or are you wanting someone to confirm your choice of the Orion?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Get an Fi sp4 v2 12". That thing gets low. Cheap .and u can throw double the power at them if it's clean and they won't blow. Everyone run FI or sundown. And 1 out of 100 run Orion. They have good equipment. But there's better for cheaper I'm.  But seriously. Check out that funky pup 12"

Daily driver

• Crescendo Audio Encore 4.5k
  • Fi SP4v2 18" ( 5.5 cube vented tuned 27hz)
  • Hertz Millie mid-range, tweets, xovers
  • Hertz SPL Show 10" mid-bass ( 1 cube sealed box)
  • Hertz hdcp 4 channel amp
  • 370 amp mechman hairpin
  • 2x d3400 XS Power batteries
  • 2/0 gauge 100% ofc welding/ground cable (big 3 done)
  • 40 ft.2 second skin pro/ 40 ft.2 dynamat extreme ( doors sealed)

I guess it depends on what you want from the sub. I would probably go a different direction if you want the lows. If you can have a good sized enclosure the Dayton UM will get low but needs a big box. Could also go with an Ascendant Audio Chaos, American Bass HD, or Incriminator Lethal Injection.

Your question is if u could, so If I had the room and had 1 sub it would be a beast like DD99 series, or team series Sundown, FI or AA.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Eventually I will be updating my drivers to something better but my two P3D4 12s on a DC 2k rock out. I say cheap drivers and a good amp will be better than expensive drivers on a cheap amp. Anything from Fi, Psi, DC, sundown, etc. would be good choices, and the most important aspect is what kind of enclosure you will be putting them in. For instance, if you wanted a sealed enclosure you should get a driver that is suited for that, and vice versa for a ported / band pass / etc. 

In saying that, if I were to run a single 12 sub - I'd go Fi sp4 as another recommended, except I'd get a 15 and call it a day. 

Archived