Dual Power Source for LED’s (using relay)

Hey Guys! Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this forum and all the info/help found on here! 

Was wondering if someone can help me out with a little project I’m doing.

So I have some exterior LED’s on my car that turn on when the doors are unlocked or opened (wired to the dome light harness) positive is wired to the dome positive and negative is grounded. Now, my question is in order to keep that function BUT also be able to turn the lights on with a rocker switch while the car is either on or off (doors not unlocked or opened), I would need a relay to prevent back draw right? So my question is. Using I assume a 5 pin bosch style relay here’s what so far I’ve came up with searching the net...someone please correct me if I’m wrong or guide me in the right direction because I feel I’m off somewhere. 

5 pin relay will have

pin 30- Wire to LED’s positive wire 

pin 86-  wire to battery negative

pin 87-  wire to battery positive with fuse 

pin 87a - wire to dome light positive 

pin 85- wire to rocker switch positive (with rocker switch grounded to battery or frame)

And again this will keep my function of the lights turning on when the doors open as well as being able to turn the lights on with a switch without having to keep the doors open while the doors are closed and locked (ie:parked at car show) or unlock them right? Also will a relay help if I have the lights on with the switch and I accidentally open the door (sparking the new power source to the lights) without damaging anything right?

Here’s the link to the relay I’m using if needed 

https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG?keywords=5+pin+relay&qid=1533953137&sr=8-12&ref=mp_s_a_1_12

Yea, there will be any "back draw" without a switch. I have left my LED's in my truck wired into the stock wiring so when the door opens, they turn on, and led's draw so little that it doesn't effect anything (disconnected bulbs and replaced with led strips). The rocker switch would just allow you to bypass the auto turn on when the door opens.

In summary, you don't need a relay unless you want one.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

11 hours ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

Yea, there will be any "back draw" without a switch. I have left my LED's in my truck wired into the stock wiring so when the door opens, they turn on, and led's draw so little that it doesn't effect anything (disconnected bulbs and replaced with led strips). The rocker switch would just allow you to bypass the auto turn on when the door opens.

In summary, you don't need a relay unless you want one.

Yeah currently they have been wired to just the dome light harness and only had the function of turning on/off with just the doors opening or unlocking. I want to add the option to turn them on with a switch to stay on as well while keeping the original function of turning on with the doors. I think I’ll run a relay regardless just to protect my electrical since it’s already tapped into the main dome harness. Thanks for you response :) 

Archived