Second Skin Audio

Help with Soft Top Jeep

Basshead911

So I have checked around and I can't seem to find any information about setups using Soft Top jeeps....I understand why, security, Flexible top etc...but is it possible to have a nice and loud Soft Top Jeep? Im currently running 2 -12" Skar EVL-12's in a large ported enclosure tuned to about 34 Hz, with the subs firing up and the port firing back into the tail gate. This is in the rear of a 4 door JK jeep unlimited. Im pushing the subs with a single RP2000.1D amp seeing a 1 ohm load. It sounds really good and its probably plenty loud, but im wondering if there is more that I can get out of it or if im chasing a unreachable goal with having a Soft Top on the Jeep? Ive got a lot of time in the enclosure and Id hate to have to build another one in the HOPES of getting a bit louder, but is this usually the case? Is there anything I can do with the port firing into the tailgate and the rear soft window to redirect it into the cabin more? Should I build a similar enclosure but fire the subs and the port up? Ive also heard that elevating the entire enclosure can have some effects...maybe I should try that? Maybe Im trying to get too much out of 2 12"s???  Just wanted to ask about how much its killing my SPL to have this Soft Top absorbing and vibrating around versus a hard top or even a full sheetmetal car? 

Thats awesome! It doesn't help me with the original question of my setup, unless the ultimate answer is to add subs, wall it and run 10k + watts, which Id love to do one day for sure! I see a lot of truck builds and trunk builds running 1 or 2 subs making big numbers (relatively of course). Im wondering if that is possible with the less than rigid soft top on a jeep? Maybe same issue as a convertible top perhaps? Maybe the answer is to buy a hardtop and sound deaden it to death! lol  Im really just looking for ideas OTHER than wall it and add 10k watts! Thats for the future build! lol but I appreciate the video clip! Definitely inspiring! 

Is there any truth to elevating an enclosure to get more gains? I feel like the answer im looking for is really just for me to experiment and see what works and what doesn't...was just hoping for a more guided path from someone thats been through it already! ! lol

Archived