Sonic Electronix

My issue is that I keep breaking head units due to the heat and vibration of my motorcycle. The specific circumstances that cause this are that I am running a single din marine head unit in an ABS fairing on a 2016 Road King through a Soundigital amp to four 5.25" coaxial speakers. When everything is working correctly, it sounds ok, and is loud enough to hear at 70+ mph. However I just burnt through my 2nd head unit since I installed this fairing onto my bike. 

I would like to fix this by eliminating the head unit all together and running a DAC that will pull audio from my iPhone 6 (will upgrade with new iphone coming this fall) lightning port and charge it at the same time. However, the only affordable solution I have found so far is the 12V iStreamer from HRT that Doug over at Soundman used for his ipad installs. Is there any other option I am not thinking about, and are there any options for a remote volume knob as well. I would ultimately like to fabricate an ABS plate to fill the head unit hole in the fairing and put on a quad lock attachment for my phone, and only have a lighting cable coming out of the abs, a volume knob, and a power switch, since I am not running keyed power. 

Archived