Sundown Audio

Setting gains on T2500 BDCP using output meter

GMCtrk

Can't find the SMD DD-1 anywhere in stock.

Currently running the Punch amps with the CLEAN system, essentially a built in DD-1.

Anyone compare the LED outputs on the T2500 to distortion point on the DD-1 or clipping on an O scope? The RF manual says the Red bar (+2) dB indicates clipping. Thinking of just setting the gains to the orange bar with a -5 dB test tune.

I've used my DD-1 even when I set my RF Punch 600x4 and I found the DD-1 picks up on distortion slightly before the Rockford amp does. I'm not sure if that can be applied towards the power series of amps but I think following the manual is a good idea regardless. 

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

I've used my DD-1 even when I set my RF Punch 600x4 and I found the DD-1 picks up on distortion slightly before the Rockford amp does. I'm not sure if that can be applied towards the power series of amps but I think following the manual is a good idea regardless. 

Well, the DD-1 and CLEAN measure different things. The dd-1 identifies 1% THD whereas the RF detects clipping.Just happens that the Punch amps hit 1% THD just prior to clipping. I'd imagine using the output meter on the T2500 should be fairly safe. I did come across a 17 second youtube vid showing a DD-1 on a t2500 and the DD-1 was both positive and negative with the red bar lit up.

Well, to my surprise a 0 dB 40 Hz test tone at 49/50 on my HU (max unclipped) maxed out the T2500 output meter with the gains all the way down.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised as the input sensitivity on the amp is listed as up to 4v. My HU has 5v preouts.

12.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to put a little update for you guys since I now have a DD-1.

Based on the DD-1, the RF manual is incorrect. The red output bar does NOT indicate clipping. The 1% THD distortion light does not come on from the DD-1 when the bar first hits red. In fact, there is a fairly good amount of gain adjustment still there once the output bar hits red (+2).

An interesting tidbit, all of my RF amps seem to make a very faint buzzing sound right before the DD-1 indicates clipping.

8 hours ago, GMCtrk said:

An interesting tidbit, all of my RF amps seem to make a very faint buzzing sound right before the DD-1 indicates clipping.

This is the same for a lot of Korean built amps as well, though its more of a whine or a squeal when the amp starts clipping (granted you only hear it when the amp is unloaded, so no speakers connected).

Archived