Second Skin Audio

Enclosure design for 2 Sundown SA 12s for a Tahoe

CONKLE73

Hello,

I used to be into car audio back in the 90s and always used sealed enclosures in my vehicles so my knowledge of ported enclosure design is limited.

I currently have 2 Boston Pro Series 10.5lfs in a sealed enclosure firing down under my 2nd row seats in my 2003 Z71 Tahoe (I have no 3rd row seats)… they sound good, nice and tight, but I miss the low end…

So, I’m planning on installing two Sundown SA 12s to give me the lows I’m looking for… My cargo area is 48” wide so I would like the enclosure to be 48” wide so it fits between the sides of the interior panels as no to slide around. I looked on Sundown’s website but all of their ported enclosure designs are only 38” wide.

I will be powering these with a CT Sounds T-1500.1

Any help with a good design for these subs in my application would be appreciated.

sa12.png

14x48x18.25 sub up port back

Port 12.5x4.75x24

1 extra baffle

.28 woofer displacement .10 corner 45° displacement

59.38² in Port area

14.81 per foot

4.01ft³ tuned @34.90hz... hold up!! Wrong will post new design. Didn't account for second baffle

3 hours ago, DiBo said:

You can put the port to the left, the center or the right side, it stays the same. I could draw a detailed plan but it would have to be later tonight I don't have SketchUp

Awesome… thanks…

Let me ask… in your opinion would it be OK to go with the lower end of the volume recommendation from Sundown at 1.5cf per sub?

I ask because I’d like to retain as much of my cargo area as possible.

As I understand it to bigger you go with the volume the more “muddy” the bass response can be… not that 2cf would be “muddy” for these subs, but if going with 1.5cf per sub allowed me a little more cargo room without sacrificing too much sound I’d be interested in that.

Also, what do you think about the port facing up and the subs facing rearward?

3 hours ago, DiBo said:

You can put the port to the left, the center or the right side, it stays the same. I could draw a detailed plan but it would have to be later tonight I don't have SketchUp

Going from a 2 common wall port to a 3 common wall port will change volume/tuning in my experience (center/right or left side).

Archived