Second Skin Audio

Enclosure design for 2 Sundown SA 12s for a Tahoe

CONKLE73

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

Going from a 2 common wall port to a 3 common wall port will change volume/tuning in my experience (center/right or left side).

I was told for center port to plug in 3 common port wall...

I can plug in 2 common and see what happens

1 hour ago, CONKLE73 said:

Awesome… thanks…

Let me ask… in your opinion would it be OK to go with the lower end of the volume recommendation from Sundown at 1.5cf per sub?

I ask because I’d like to retain as much of my cargo area as possible.

As I understand it to bigger you go with the volume the more “muddy” the bass response can be… not that 2cf would be “muddy” for these subs, but if going with 1.5cf per sub allowed me a little more cargo room without sacrificing too much sound I’d be interested in that.

Also, what do you think about the port facing up and the subs facing rearward?

I would recommend 3.75-4ft³. no muddiness to these subs. They're very musical. Let me know what you want and I can get it designed for you.

This is a quote from the FAQ's regarding Torres...

The '# of Common Port Walls' box refers to how many sides of the box are going to act as sides of the port. This is

done by looking at the port head on and counting how many sides of the box that face of the port uses as the port

walls.

I believe a center port is 2 common wall, the tuning /volume always works out for me and I re-dimension everything, figure end-corrected port lengths, subtract all displacements before putting it Winisd for the final tune result.

I try to get it as accurate as I can...

vG1QtT.jpg

pRgvsf.jpg

Like above, sometimes the difference is not much, other times it's considerable.

18 hours ago, DiBo said:

I would recommend 3.75-4ft³. no muddiness to these subs. They're very musical. Let me know what you want and I can get it designed for you.

OK... Guess I need to sacrifice some cargo area for awesome sound… lol

Let’s go with 3.75cf with the port in the center… subs up, port to the rear like you suggested previously.

Thank you so much for the help!

Kevin

10 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

On a center port if the port goes all the to the back of the box and splits into a "T" then you would enter 3 as you have the top, bottom, and rear wall as the 3 walls.

I always thought that 2 common wall is top panel and bottom panel... 3 common wall is top, side and bottom panels... 1 is using one side for one portwall only and 4 is like a centered square port... I suppose I could be wrong but that's how I read the FAQ's

You gotta look at it from the face and count how many walls the face of the port only uses I believe.

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

I always thought that 2 common wall is top panel and bottom panel... 3 common wall is top, side and bottom panels... 1 is using one side for one portwall only and 4 is like a centered square port... I suppose I could be wrong but that's how I read the FAQ's

You gotta look at it from the face and count how many walls the face of the port only uses I believe.

I just reread the tutorial, been awhile, and you are correct. so a center slot port would be 2. Which makes me think the program does not calculate end correction  when doing a center port. Maybe its not needed??

I think a center port with bends needs end-correction, but if the port is straight and the program doesn't specify bends no correction is needed. 

That's how it has worked out for me anyways, when using Torres I always redimension and back check my tuning in Winisd anyways so it's always different than what Torres says. 

Archived