Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Recommendation

Ryan929

Hello all, been a while since I have posted here.

I have been out of the audio world for a few years, but I picked up a 4th order box off facebook recently that was built specifically for my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. Got it with all the trim pieces for $150.. I couldn't pass it up. I have attached a few photos if anyone is curious to see what it looks like, they arent the best but you'll get the idea.

I have tried searching this forum and google but couldn't find any real specific answers. I am trying to figure out what subs would work best in a 4th order application, I have found that High Qts and low Fs is what I am looking for, but I do not know any specific numbers as far as whats considered to be a "high" Qts number or a "low" Fs number that I should be trying to stay within. Also, any other major factors to consider aside from recommended enclosure size?

I am trying to keep this (sort of) a budget build and looking to spend around $100 per sub and have the subs on around 3-4k rms total. I was thinking I would go with the D2 HDS2 15s by Soundqubed as they are $104 a piece. Is this a decent sub for a 4th order application? Fs is 28.93 and Qts is .572. 

I am not set on this sub, and am currently searching through local facebook groups daily for some used subwoofer options. I know box volume can also play a factor in deciding subs, I dont have the exact dimensions currently but can get them if needed. I have no issue determining the box volume and reading whats recommended for the subwoofer as far as box volume goes. Mainly the Qts and Fs is my concern.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

74b8bad0-a49a-44a1-b9dc-06f8fa5b8110 (2).jpg

ca248024-0083-4bcb-97d1-cdf5a0ba377c (2).jpg

5 hours ago, Ryan929 said:

Just got home and measured the box, it’s built in a 2:1 ratio, 2cubes per sub on the sealed side, 4 cubes per sub on the ported. For 24 cubes total after port area but before sub displacement.

That's a nice enclosure. 4x Sundown X15's.... Slappin

7 hours ago, DiBo said:

That's a nice enclosure. 4x Sundown X15's.... Slappin

Little out of the budget.. lol

I have also found someone local selling 3 Skar DDx 15s for $375 would still need to purchase a 4th, any input on these skar subs in a 4th order? do their parameters match up better for this application in comparison to the HDS2?

Edit: The DDX calls for 3 cubes sealed, 4 cubes ported, with my box only having 2 cubes per on the sealed side, would this cause an issue?

Both the soundqubes and the skars are great performers and solid builds. Im a skar fan so id go ddx but either would probly work fine. Wat did the original wall owner use?

5 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Both the soundqubes and the skars are great performers and solid builds. Im a skar fan so id go ddx but either would probly work fine. Wat did the original wall owner use?

I believe originally it was Rockford Fosgate P3s

So the soundqubeds would b cheaper and closer powerwise. Im bettn the specs on the sq would b close to a p3. Idk. No time to google. But if they r theyd b a safe bet to sound good.

Archived