Second Skin Audio

Recommended power for a Fi SP4 15 v2 and is my elecrical up to par

Joshdashef

Looking for some recomendations on what kind of power I should be giving this sub:

http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/sp4-series-sp415-v2/

I plan on putting it in my trunk port and sub facing into the interior. More than likely sealing the subs off into the interior.

Currently have a DC 2k but willing to upgrade in order to meet this subs requirements. Already have two runs of 1/0 OFC dual inputting into the 2k and have front XS D5100R / rear  D3400 / Mechman 240A 

If my 2k amp won't handle this sub will my elecrical handle the bump up to 3/4k or should I look into more electrical?

Also it says 3-5 feet net for ported. Should I just go dead center at 4 or lean towards one side of that range? 

I regret not having enough port and volume in my box.  Im running these exact subs, and they want to flex.  Im only putting 2500W to them and they need more. 

Figure out the power your going to run and the electrical upgrades first, then do the box and port design.  WinISD is easy to learn and free.  

To specifically answer your question, it depends on power you're going to run.  More power = more excursion.  Box and port must follow.

If it were me?  I'd wire it to 0.35 on a Ampere 3800, seal the trunk off, with an appropriately sized box and port... and put a 45-80Ah lithium in the trunk.  DONE.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I can chime in on this a little. Not running SP4 but I do run a team 15 ( similar) on an Orion 2500.1dz ([email protected] birth) with a Mechman 270 and dual... Etc lol. These subs are hungry! My box is 4.1 with 62in² port and I figure I'm giving the sub (guesstimating) around 2.4k RMS ( amp does 2500+@2ohm) and I need more power fa certainly. Haha. Another 500 watts or so should do the trick. I think 4-4.5ft³ with about 65-70in of port will work for the sp4's with about 3k to them RMS. I'm just basing this off what I'm experiencing with this team 15. I may be wrong. Still learning myself

Would a Rockford 2500 bdcp be Overkill for this sub? It seems like the cost to watt ratio is terrible at a cool 1.6 g

I'm thinking I might buy another DC 2k so I can link the two together and give them each a single 1/0 input instead of dual inputs. 

My question now is another DC 2k is 600 bucks while another brand like ampere that you mention is for like 850. Is it worth buying the more powerful single amp and selling the other amp vs buying another of the same to strap?

Alright so more powerful amp it is. Hoping to save up enough by December for the sub and amp maybe get some lithum in the trunk . Thanks for the input guys 

22 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

You would not even notice the difference.

Yup, just me, but, 500 watts, would net you zero gain, you wouldnt even know to the ear, and probably nothing, or very little on the meter. A team FI coil?? Much stronger coil than a sp4 winding. Good Hell, I'd put a wolfram or whatever 3-4k on each coil, set clean, decent enclosure, and let it wang. I've seen with my own eyes the thermal cap of those windings, (ran a pair of Ascendant Audio 12" teams myself, on a Ampere TFHE at .5, could full tilt those all day, no comp rig, just my daily driver, I doubt I was seeing 9k tho, (due to my electrical) and jesus, it's a damn fair amount , BIG TIME for burps. My boo Ray in cali consistantly clamped 8k plus to his AA teams, each, on his burp runs did 61s too on 4 drivers, legal. Insane. And he was rarely reconing. Very rarely for the abuse he put em through. 

As far as the sp4 goes, I have a bit a run time with those drivers. A fair amount you could say, and those that know some of my builds, could attest. I put everything from a dc10k on 4, to a 3800 on each, to a 6500 watt board on each. Whoa...

Every option, I did do, was wired down. Ran .35 daily for about 3 months for a spell with some 3800s. And it was a bit of a struggle, as I had to play certain songs, a certain way, to keep impedance/load in check, and not have the boards shut down for low impedance. I also had solder running out of the amp cases, driving the ish out of them, for so long  ? .   But, never ever had a thermal issue with the drivers. Ever. My enclosure was way big, to big when we switched up to gobs of power, and soft parts screamed and had a bad day with the 6500s, but thermally,... I couldn't break those. Hell, I sold them after about 4 and a half seasons as "working". The driver we run now, xfire xv2, I wanna say, is basically a sp4. Same coil, but higher FS and such. We have a xfire "4k" on each, at .5, at 18v. We pull 500 plus amps on music runs per board. 500 amp, on music seeing 16-17 volt, is a fair amount of voltage(power).  And we have had one single issue (slinkied a winding) and that was in the lanes, doing 2 full tilt runs, back to back. Zero break. First broken driver we have ever had. Also, I think this is the 3rd or 4th season with the basically the same drivers. We reconed a couple just before worlds 2017. 

Greg Corbin ( teammate in vegas) through GOBS of power to his sp4s. Daily. Clamped like 7k (on the term lab), or some crazy shit like that. Did 65 or some sillyness. He had a issue here and there, but for how he beat those things, it was beyond impressive how they held up. We both found, that around 5-6k CLAMPED, not paper wattage, they would peaked out, and only heat was made, meter was pegged, nothing gained, and issues would pop up. 

In the end,  I could see 2 DC 2ks working fine. I'd put one per coil, as I'm not a fan of strapping, for my own personal reason. One per coil, wired down a bit, cuz that's how I roll,.. I think youd be pretty content. Or, a nice larger board. Choice is yours man. 

Ill sell you a nice B2 Zero1 3000w (lol) amp would work perfect for that. 

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

37 minutes ago, Keith77 said:

Ill sell you a nice B2 Zero1 3000w (lol) amp would work perfect for that. 

Thanks man but I'm not looking for pre-owned amps

Archived