Ditching iphone

Bret

I came to the realization yesterday that I’ve reached the age where I’m just cranky and everything pisses me off. I could go on and on about but instead I’ll try to keep it focused to the topic at hand.

I hate my iPhone and Apple for a number of reasons. The reason that pertains to this particular rant is the music app. They changed it so that I can’t simply hide the music that isn’t downloaded to my phone anymore. When I plug my phone into my alpine 143bt it tries to play tracks that aren’t downloaded to the phone (tracks I used to have downloaded but removed) and hangs/freezes. I know a workaround for this but I don’t want to do the workaround every time I get in my car. I complained to Apple but never got a response. What do you expect from a trillion dollar company.

So I want to ditch my phone. I thought I would buy a flash drive and try that, but upon researching it for a good 5 minutes I learned that alpines and flash drives don’t play well together. I don’t want to wait a minute or two for my radio to start working because it has to read in all the ‘what have you’ off the flash drive. I can get to the store down the street in that amount of time.

I have looked into the 80prs as an alternative but I have no idea how responsive it is switching between tracks off a flash drive. I hate the lag with my alpine/iPhone when I skip to the next track, especially because the button on my alpine is already worn out and works only half the time.

I also looked in to buying another alpine, realizing this would not solve my iPhone/flash drive issue but would solve another big problem, and that is doing a major upgrade to my system and moving to active x-over network. I thought it would accomplish this via the alpine tuneit app that isn’t compatible with my older head unit. Yesterday I downloaded the app to see what it is about and I I can say is “don’t get me started.” What a goddamn joke. No bandpass for the mids. I didn’t want to buy a dsp because of the cost and complexity but am now considering it. There is a used one on Craigslist near me that is the $1000 arc audio unit for half the price, but that is still a huge chunk of change for something that isn’t too exciting for me. I’m not an audiophile but I won’t settle for the wildly unbalanced systems I have been cobbling together for the past 30+ years. It’s about time I spend the time and do it right for once.

I’m leaning toward the 80prs with no dsp. I don’t need all the fancy features, I’m just looking for good sound quality and the capability to set up a 3 way ststem with it and I want it to play music as soon as I start my car (off a flash drive) I also don’t want to buy it and find out it’s as irritating as my current setup.

I would appreciate any feedback except for feedback telling me I need to drink less coffee. I already know that. Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Bret

Congratulations on considering ditching the iPhone. Ill never understand why anyone would pay $1000+ for a phone that is locked down by the manufacturer. I dont know why anyone would pay $1000+ for any phone. That being said, I dont have any of those issues you described with my $200 Pioneer and an Android phone(Nexus 6P). My phone syncs right up to the Pioneer, and within seconds, music is playing. I havent owned an Alpine in many years so I am not familiar with your HU. 

This is the Pioneer I have: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-8NhVEBXr1jN/p_130201EX/Pioneer-AVH-201EX.html

Not fancy by any means but it does all I need and at a reasonable price. The 80prs looks like a good option as well.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

I think we run the same model alpine,.. and with a several different 30-120 gig jump drives,  dont have any issues. It runs/finds/searches/plays as fast or even faster than when I had my 80prs. Navigating the 80prs was more difficult than the 100 dollar alpine we run now. Odd...

I have a pair of Gorilla 64g flash drives hooked up to my Kenwood with A-fukn-lot of videos on them. No problems at all. Also, I Bluetooth my IPhone on a regular basis with no problems.

Honestly, I could run (and have in the past come to think about it) my Lap Top through my Kenwood with no problems as a source unit.

I would suggest a Kenwood if I gave any suggestions ... just saying

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Thank you all for your feedback. Kyblack76, since you said you had no problem using a flash drive with this model I borrowed one with music on it and tried it out. It worked without any trouble. I have no idea why some people said it doesn't work, I guess you cant believe everything you read on the internet. I went and bought a flash drive and am putting my music on it now.

Since I'm keeping the Alpine I decided to go ahead and invest in a DSP. It will take me a long time to learn to tune my system but there is nothing else I'd rather do anyway. The thing I don't understand about the ones I'm looking at is why are there so many inputs? I can't think of why I would run more than one input. Someone please explain.

Thanks again to you all.

Bret

i think its a user error thing i think alpine doesn't like wav. format which some people could have.

also 7 years going on alpine and 64gb flash drive

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I have an IPhone because my wife is a IT person and said these are what we’re getting. A lot of guys at work have Samsung phones and I see they are way faster then mine but I guess happy wife happy life . I’m also not a big computer person.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Dang. I bought a flash drive and moved my music on to it and my stereo won’t play the iTunes file format. I guess I’m stuck with my iPhone. It’s not the end of the world just annoying.

Archived