Second Skin Audio

sundown audio x6.5 box help

Noah Lee

wanting to build a box for 2 sundown x6.5 subs says they require 0.3ft each.  my measurements are 20" W 10"H 10"D with a 2" round port 10.8 long tuned to 32hz this should leave me with an overall internal cubic feet  of 0.66 after dismantlement would this work ? 

Any help much appreciated.  

54 minutes ago, Noah Lee said:

wanting to build a box for 2 sundown x6.5 subs says they require 0.3ft each.  my measurements are 20" W 10"H 10"D with a 2" round port 10.8 long tuned to 32hz this should leave me with an overall internal cubic feet  of 0.66 after dismantlement would this work ? 

My math shows a gross int volume of .77 ft3, and a port volume of .019 for a net of .75 before sub displacement, .05 x 2 for sub displacement and you have an end net vol of .65.  Looks good to me.  I didn't do any calc's to see if your port tuning is correct.

11 hours ago, mestapho said:

My math shows a gross int volume of .77 ft3, and a port volume of .019 for a net of .75 before sub displacement, .05 x 2 for sub displacement and you have an end net vol of .65.  Looks good to me.  I didn't do any calc's to see if your port tuning is correct.

Cheers bud hopefully I’ve got the tuning right for the port. That’s what it told me on 12volt box calculator for 32hz

Your probably going to have to bump up to a 3" round port. A 2" is too small. Only 3.15 area of port with a 2"

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

3 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Your probably going to have to bump up to a 3" round port. A 2" is too small. Only 3.15 area of port with a 2"

But wouldn’t a 3 inch round port need to be around 25.5 inches long so there for wouldnt take away to much of the internal volume ? 

43 minutes ago, Noah Lee said:

But wouldn’t a 3 inch round port need to be around 25.5 inches long so there for wouldnt take away to much of the internal volume ? 

yes it would need to be longer but you need to have the proper port area for the enclosure to function properly.

And welcome to the world of compromise... lol it sucks...

I havent run the numbers, but a 2" is bound to be too small. Anytime your port length is only 10" for a mid 30s tune, it's too low on port area. 

Now you get to figure out how to fit a 25" long port in a 20" wide box. That's usually how box making goes unfortunately.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

On 9/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, Noah Lee said:

So here is a suggestion with proper port area, dims close to your own (and can be customized), power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 1 1/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

2x65.jpg

2x8_sb.jpg

Archived