Sundown Audio

Blew the wolf somehow

DiBo

10 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

bad r.c.as, bad deck somewhere from deck to amp somethings creating bad distortion sounds like it

Fosgate RCA's and pioneer avh 4200 Nex... Everything quality. S*** just goes bad sometimes I guess. It's crazy. Turn the gain up with RCA  plugged directly in like it was before and as soon as you hit about 1/4 of the way up sounds like you're burping a 40hz  tone it's crazy!! I thought the amp was toast for certain

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pioneer headunits are notorious for blowing the pico fuse. You must have accidently touched or grounded the live rcas while dd1ing your amp. It happens. You can google how to ground your rcas. Should fix the issue.

23 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Pioneer headunits are notorious for blowing the pico fuse. You must have accidently touched or grounded the live rcas while dd1ing your amp. It happens. You can google how to ground your rcas. Should fix the issue.

This is probably your problem. Have read about it on numerous occasions. Never personally had a problem with it and I pretty much only run pioneer head units 

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Just a word of caution: I grounded my RCAs and picked up a continuous hummmmmmm and some noise.  It works for some and doesnt for others.  Glad you got it diagnosed.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, MrSkippyJ said:

how exactly are you determining your gain is only 1/3 or 1/4 of the way up?

Yes I know where the knob is has absolutely nothing to do with gain level. Thought about it after I posted. I've only DD-1'd a couple amps that clipped @ or below 1/4 turn. It's all about input voltage. Good catch. Lol

Amp is A OK. This is where lack of experience has me looking like a completely uneducated noob. Lol. You can read every piece of info out there but most of the times experience trumps info. You live and you learn. Thanks for the prompt help everybody!! Real shit

19 hours ago, DiBo said:

No clipping. Haven't turned it up yet past 1/3. Brand new sub brand new amp. DD-1 in hand. As hard as it was, I actually listened and didn't turn this combo up yet. Sub and amp have only been in for 2 days and unless a 15 Hertz tone at 1/3 volume, one-third gain  is distorting I don't think I was clipping the amp. 

20 hours ago, DiBo said:

Trying to dd1 my amp I turned the gain up most of the way with the woofer disconnected and I heard a few clicking noises ,light, but clicking. The DD one would never stop distorting from the very beginning. Said the hell with it hooked everything back up and decided to try it by ear and when I turned the gain up about a quarter of the way zero music just a loud burp like I was playing a 40 Hertz tone. Pissed

but this post said the dd-1 would never stop distorting.

3 hours ago, strangeduck said:

but this post said the dd-1 would never stop distorting.

I blew the sub output by touching the speaker negative to the amp positive before I ever put the dd1 on it. It made a noise but not the same buzz it made when I turned the gain up. I split the front channel for now and I'm running the sub on the rear channel on my pioneer avh4200 Nex. Works just fine. New deck ordered today. 

Archived