Second Skin Audio

pics of new box build for Silverado

CorNut

It's a single RE shallow mount 10, It was a lot of work for the amount of bass it gives me. 

RE discontinued their shallow subs but I had one sitting around. The box came to 1.07 cu ft before displacement/tuning. Figuring out the volume with the curves was difficult so I lined the box with a shower curtain & filled it to see how many gallons/cups of water it held. In the end, it finished .87 @ 35hz. The sub's recommended vented size is .65-1.0, it sounds fine for what it is, but I'd like more. I went with a 3" round port, it's the largest round port I could fit, placement isn't ideal. With the box changing shape in so many places, a slot port would've been difficult.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Nice. Not bad for a diy. You might be able to find a better shallow 10 to put in there. Maybe a sd3?

I'll be building on myself in a couple months for 2 or 3 SSA F8Ls on 2k. But I'm also going to lift the rear seat 1.5" 

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

8 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

You might be able to find a better shallow 10 to put in there. Maybe a sd3?

I'm guessing I'll replace it at some point. Due to the angle, the box has a 3.5" mounting depth so a SD3 wouldn't fit. I built the box low enough that an adult can sit in the back and it won't sag into the box. The areas on top where I increased volume/depth slightly can be cut out/added to at the expense of rear passengers' comfort. The box is far enough (~2") from the floor to surface mount a driver to install a 12 if I can increase the volume enough to support it. I haven't messed with the MS-8's tuning since installing the RE but I don't expect that to help much.

I thought about raising my seat so I wouldn't be as limited in sub selection but I found the RE Audio SL-10 D4,16mm xmax and it reviewed well so I went with it. I've always done small package installs but this is my first true shallow mount sub. Good luck with your build, I haven't heard an F8L but my car has a single Sundown SA-8 v.2 which is similar, it amazes people when they see it's a single 8" in a small, modified (sub rings+external port) factory enclosure.

Yea that limits you quite a bit. If you can stomach the price the stereo integrity bmk5 is a pretty sweet shallow mount. Or maybe the newer JL or Rockford shallows. Heard good thing about them as well.

I have 2 young boys, so they are the only ones in the back seat and their in booster seats lol. So I'm not real worried about their comfort. Havent heard the F8Ls either, thinking they might be a little better than SA8, dont like the price of the X8 so I'm looking towards the SSA. Hows the SA8 compared to the little RE shallow?

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

3 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Hows the SA8 compared to the little RE shallow?

The RE has good tone but it doesn't rattle the vehicle like an SA8, the SA puts a smile on my face. The RE has more range and it sounds great in the cabin, I don't dislike it, I just wish the notes had a bit more oomph behind it.

I didn't put much work into the build for the SA8, here's a few pics of it. It's 100% rigged together but it accomplished the 3 things I wanted:

1) bass

2) ability to AutoX

3) kept access to my spare tire

The only reason I'm posting this is because I think the pics of the box I finished yesterday overshadow (ability-wise) this. As simple of build as it is, it's amazing how loud it is. I cut the front off the factory box and installed rings, port & a new baffle.

sd2.jpg

sd3.jpg

00a0a_cevvD6E36yd_600x450.jpg

Archived