Change from JBL MS-8 to DSR1?

CorNut

I changed the box under the rear seat in my truck & now there's not enough room for my amp (Rockford t1000x5ad) & DSP (JBL MS-8) unless I change how I mount them. I don't need the internal amp the MS-8 has, is the actual processing any better than a DSR1? The DSR1 & amp would fit under the backrest behind the box, if I keep the MS-8 I'll need to make a rack to put behind the seat. Resale value of the MS-8 more than covers the $250 a DSR1 costs. 

My truck is a daily driver, it's a set of kappa components, kappa coax's and a single RE Audio 10. Ease of working with it/not having to remove my seat,  changing to a DSR1 makes sense if it works as well.

I personally cant stand the MS-8 units.. I think they are horrible and so out dated. Changing settings in them is a slow and a PITA compared to other processors, the goofy little screen you need to have connected to see the things you are changing is dumb because you still need to use a remote controller to change settings since the screen is not touch screen. You loose your remote (which is possible in a vehicle) you can no longer change settings. I wouldnt recommend anyone buying a MS-8 or using one unless they got it for free maybe.

I never used the RF DSR1 so no idea how that unit performs, but I use a vintage RF 3Sixty.2 and I love it.

As someone who has used the JBL MS-8 and owns 2 DSR1's I personally do not miss the MS-8 at all.

I have used multiple dsp's ranging from a 360.3, helix, ppi dsp88-r, minidsp, ms-8, and even tried a mosconi for all of 5 minutes. 

The DSR1 works great if you are willing to update the firmware and deal with a few bluetooth connection issues at first. There appears to be a bug in using the parametric EQ as well when trying to set the Q points and change frequency on certain ranges for android. It just crashes and you have to clear the appdata on the device you are tuning with and start over. 

I have been wanting to try the new Dayton dsp that recently hit the market as well.

2 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

I personally cant stand the MS-8 units.. I think they are horrible and so out dated.

1 hour ago, nadcicle said:

As someone who has used the JBL MS-8 and owns 2 DSR1's I personally do not miss the MS-8 at all.

I appreciate the responses. I've had my MS-8 for a long time (multiple vehicles). While looking for an alternative after seeing the MS-8 doesn't fit with my new box, I seen MS-8's selling for more than a new DSR1 so I'll do that and be done with it. I like the idea of being able to access my equipment without removing the seat.

I'll try to get it installed next week. It's a mess right now, I have things crammed into areas they'll stay put. I ordered a piece of ABS I'm gonna set it and the amp on. I think with its size, I might be able to put either the DSP or amp propped up behind the other. It'll be nice if I can, it'll salvage slightly more storage space behind the box for snow chains/tools etc. I'm already glad I'm making the switch. The MS-8 uses too much of the little real estate left in my truck.

Ignore the mess, I had to dismantle everything to make the box fit, I used to keep it all under the seat. I'll get it cleaned back up when the ABS gets here.

IMG_20180913_182024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived