Second Skin Audio

ZV3 15 4th order, need some opinions

Kraken

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

Alright, so if I were to just ditch the 4th order idea and run another ported box, what do you (any anyone else with input) think some good specs would be? I see above 2.5-3 cubes with a ~10 inch aeroport is the way to go? Keeping the box that small with such a large port is going to be tough to fit all inside that box without a mid mounted port. That is always an option though

Please understand, my post above wasn't about trying to talk you out of building the 4th order bandpass box.  I just wanted to manage your expectations.  The fact is that a 4th order bandpass box will sound significantly different than your current box and you may like it better, or you may not.  If you are chasing numbers the bandpass box will likely get you more output in the 40-50 Hz range (thus getting you a higher peak SPL number), you price you pay for that is it will be physically larger and you will sacrifice output below 40 hz compared to a ported box tuned to the mid 30s.  

If you have the time and are willing to contribute the materials to build a bandpass box, it probably would be an interesting experiment for you.  

If you want to build a different ported box it would help to know what you have now so I can suggest what might be better.  You said your current box is 3.6 cu ft net?  What is the tuning frequency and port area?  Also when I ask what its tuning frequency I want to know what it REALLY is, not just what the tuning calculators say it should be.  What you get in practice can be quite a bit different than what the calcs say.  I just checked a box yesterday for a guy who had a shop build him a box, they told him it was tuned to 35 hz, it was really tuned to 27 Hz.  

To test to see what your tuning REALLY is you just need to play sine wave tones through your sub a low to moderate volume.  Watch/feel the cone for movement, change the sine wave frequency around until you find the frequency where cone movement is the least, that will be your tuning frequency.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So the box I have now is 3.6 net, 5.17 gross. it has a 4 inch aeroport, and the "box calculator tuning" is 36hz, although the true tuning is 38hz. Based on all ive heard on 4th orders now, I think im just going to go back to a ported box. Numbers are fun, but I still think I can get decent numbers and great daily ability out of a ported box. 

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

If you're only running a single 4" aero port to a ZV3 15" sub you are GROSSLY under what the needs are for that sub to function properly. You'd need like 4 times that to have that sub be happy. 12.56" of port area is literally like 1/4 of what it should have in a proper enclosure. No wonder why you're unhappy with the current box.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

18 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

If you're only running a single 4" aero port to a ZV3 15" sub you are GROSSLY under what the needs are for that sub to function properly. You'd need like 4 times that to have that sub be happy. 12.56" of port area is literally like 1/4 of what it should have in a proper enclosure. No wonder why you're unhappy with the current box.

Yeah, it's kinda choking the sub. It doesnt sound bad by any means, just not loud enough. It only pulls a 138...

Alright, so I have decided against the 4th order and just a well designed ported box.. Ive read "big port" "big port". everyone says it. If i stick to the 3-3.5 cube box, and do something like an 8 or 10 inch aero port, and try to tune anywhere in those 30's, that port is gonna have to be stupid long. Any options I have on dropping that length? I would prefer anything but a slot port if I can, although I do know it might come down to it. What I had drawn out was net 3.2 cubes with a 10 inch aeroport tuned to 35 or 36hz (i cant remember tbh), and the port length was something around 30 inches...

34 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Thats the thing about aero's bro, if you insist on tuning low then it is likely those aeros are going to be long or atleast have a 90 degree coupler, hell sometimes people let them stick out the box.  

I figured it would have to stick out of the box, but I have heard putting bends in aeroport creates so much box rise it isnt even funny

Archived