Second Skin Audio

No subwoofer break-in my ASS!!

DiBo

So I metered last night with my new FI team 15 and I lost 4db from the score I got with an already lathered up tram 15 ( broken in completely). My score went from 145.79@31 to 141.8@46!!! Sucks ass. Going back to Sundown with a 3" coil I think. These team woofers are on an extreme level. Sounds like shit too not broken in. FS on this woofer is 47 and I don't see it coming down drastically anytime soon and AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT! LOL. 

Sundown... Best woofers made imo. User friendly and they play loud at low frequencies. I can see why everybody hates on Sundown so much. They got some type of secret sauce or something haha. Even with the fully broken in Team 15, Xs & zv5 sound a lot better musically. And to tell you the truth that U series 15 might be one of the best musical 15's I've heard yet. Not a rant just giving my honest opinion on these high RMS subwoofers. And I said OPINION... You know what people say about opinions. These fi team 15's might collect dust

why didnt you play at 31 on the second test?

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

1 hour ago, mbdblue said:

why didnt you play at 31 on the second test?

We had an actual term lab setup this time with a clamp and box rise meter, and people waiting. the woofer is new and I put the Orion back on cause the wolf wasn't making any power harldy, and yada yada excuses excuses... Lol. Car peaked @46 this time so I went with it. Off night, off woofer, off power etc. GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE to say the least. Damn car audio has her damn claws sunken in!! 

48 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Thats a 4" coiled Hi-power team sub... IMO you were barely tickling the beast. I remember quite a thread but save me the reading... whats your volume/port area/tuning? Sheeit... that thing looks like it needs 5K+ and a SUV to put it in.

BIG box after the port area needed/tuning... wow

HfBVcw.jpg

Box specs are pretty good... 4.1ft³@31hz with 62.5in sq of port area. You are correct about the power I was putting to it. I rose to over 4 ohms last night and only gave the woofer a little over 1600 watts. I did hit a 145.7 @31 with this same amp and sub combo ( the other woofer is fully broken in Team 15 as well) but was used when I got it. I underestimated the break-in time and power needed for these woofers. I am by no means bashing the team fi 15 it is unbelievable sub but for my application right now this brand new one isn't working for me, nor do I like the music from the one that's broken in. Not much experience but I do have some experience with different level 15's now. I like the music produced as well as the sound produced ( tone of the music) buy a lesser RMS 3-inch coil woofer. Just my subjective opinion. 

My Wolfram isn't working properly. Going to get it tested today. I'm sure with the proper amount of power these 15's are going to wake up. I think I would rather move more air than what a single sub is capable of doing. Learning things the hard way... Trial and error

WIRE DOWN LOWER.  Those subs need more power all the time.  Beef up your electrical and get dirty with them ohms.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

If you could get a 150 out the trunk with a good enclosure on a 3K and a single U series then everyone would have one... But theres more to it than that.

You have to make power to get a musical trunk build like you originally intended.  Wiring down low is the key, IMO.  Unfortunately, I think you're using dual 2 ohm coils so you prob cant go lower than 0.7ohm DCR without a recone.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived