Second Skin Audio

Which subs would you go with?

mrpasstherock

Do not use power bastards!!! Use a trusted brand like mechman or singer. Power bastards alts dont put out rated power and most times not as much as the stock alt. Id do 1 12 ported on like 2k. With 2k youd only need a good agm up front and in bak and a ho alt to easily power both amps. Have you looked at skar audio? Great products there as well as soundqubed. Id either go kinetik or xspower 4 batts. Also use good wire. 0 gauge ofc. A brand like knukonceptz or sky high car audio.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew it was a reason I'd never heard of power bastards lol. I will check out skar too. I found another alternator from DC Power it's 270 amps direct fit. So you have to excuse me I'm fairly new here. Is there really that big a difference in output between sealed and ported enclosures? I thought sealed was more accurate and smoother bass. I mean with such a small car like a camaro will it really make that big of a difference?

I used to rock sealed all the time wen i was younger. Boxes were easier to build. But after hearing the output difference with a properly built and ported enclosure ill probly never go sealed again.

I second using a solid company for your electrical. Don't buy expensive amps just to match it with lack luster electrical components. My current setup uses a DC 2k amp with a rockford 4 channel and mechman 240 Alternator and I have no problems with my electrical. Normal volume never goes below 14, if I am jamming out it never dips below 13.8/13.7. Rests at 14.2/14.3 - Honda's electric load detector (ELD). If you plan on going beyond 2k then I suggest investing in lithium rather than AGMs for your rear reserves. It is a bigger initial investment but the payoff is superb. My next build is using a wolfram 4500.1 / Limitless Lithium 45 ah / Fi team 15.

Sadly I gave up all of my trunk space to fit everything... so if you want space but still decent sound go either 2 12s ported (that only need about a cube net volume per sub) or a single 15 ported. Also if you 86 your spare tire you can fit your spare batteries there and maybe even your amp if you use some fans to keep 'er cool, giving you even more room in your trunk - but better have an air compressor or fix a flat *

2 minutes ago, mrpasstherock said:

I knew it was a reason I'd never heard of power bastards lol. I will check out skar too. I found another alternator from DC Power it's 270 amps direct fit. So you have to excuse me I'm fairly new here. Is there really that big a difference in output between sealed and ported enclosures? I thought sealed was more accurate and smoother bass. I mean with such a small car like a camaro will it really make that big of a difference?

Sealed boxes offer a wide range of playable frequencies with a smooth response curve

Ported offers a smaller range of playable frequencies with a peak close to the ports tuning.

There are some other types of ported enclosures ie. 4th/6th orders but I don't see the point unless your doing a blow thru for a truck. 

You should take measurements of your trunk and what space you want to use for the enclosure and equipment to power the subs, then decide on equipment. No sense in buying equipment before you understand your space constraints. 

There is no spare tire in the new camaros they have run flat tires. But I still have the tire well in the trunk it only houses the factory bose amplifier which I will be removing. The trunk dimensions are 34 1/2 inches at the widest opening and that's folding the rear seat down to access the trunk opening but it goes down to 24 inches wide at the rear opening if you were to access it from the trunk opening. Don't know why chevrolet made the opening so narrow so the box will have to go in through the rear seat into the trunk. The max depth is around 28 inches from tail lights to the rear seats. Keep in mind the factory battery is also in the side well of the trunk too.

Archived