Connecting 4 ch amp to head unit, 4 speakers 1 sub

4 hours ago, Matt9ball said:

Regards the bridging sub to 3 and 4, should i run the rear rcas from the hu to the amp to the inputs of channels 3 and 4?

Your head unit either outputs to your RCAs in the form of a "low output" aka non-amplified signal // or outputs at a speaker level output through its internal amplifier in the form of "high output" aka amplified signal.

Your head unit has three RCA outputs from what I have read, they are; Front / Rear / Sub

For your case, a 4 channel amp, you should follow what other said above.

Run your Front RCAs into your 4 channel amps channel 1 and 2, then run your Sub RCAs into channel 3 and 4 (bridging them to run your sub) and finally running your rear speakers through factory wires going to the stock locations, allowing the head units built in amplifier to handle them with a high output signal. 

If you need help bridging there probably are tons of articles on the web / or some on here already.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Your head unit either outputs to your RCAs in the form of a "low output" aka non-amplified signal // or outputs at a speaker level output through its internal amplifier in the form of "high output" aka amplified signal.

Your head unit has three RCA outputs from what I have read, they are; Front / Rear / Sub

For your case, a 4 channel amp, you should follow what other said above.

Run your Front RCAs into your 4 channel amps channel 1 and 2, then run your Sub RCAs into channel 3 and 4 (bridging them to run your sub) and finally running your rear speakers through factory wires going to the stock locations, allowing the head units built in amplifier to handle them with a high output signal. 

If you need help bridging there probably are tons of articles on the web / or some on here already.

Thanks for response. Yes. I understand this now but what i dont get is that the front rcas is a set of left and right and the sub is a single rca.

How do i connect a single sub rca to both ch 3 and 4 on the amp? Do i use a Y splitter? 

There is also a VIN output in yellow that also has a red and white rca output???

so why not run all of your speakers off the front outputs on the amp? it should be 2ohm stable in stereo. then bridge the rear channels to your sub. if its a d4 or s4 sub should be fine. 

2 hours ago, strangeduck said:

so why not run all of your speakers off the front outputs on the amp? it should be 2ohm stable in stereo. then bridge the rear channels to your sub. if its a d4 or s4 sub should be fine. 

I thought the rear speakers were too small to amplify. Only 4in.

Is using a splitter for the sub out not a good idea?

That would sound terrible.

Keep it simple, run the front speakers on channel 1 & 2 using the front RCA output. Run the sub bridged on 3 & 4 using the SUB RCA output. 

The rears you can just ignore or use the headunit power.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

2 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

That would sound terrible.

Keep it simple, run the front speakers on channel 1 & 2 using the front RCA output. Run the sub bridged on 3 & 4 using the SUB RCA output. 

The rears you can just ignore or use the headunit power.

Ok but there is only one sub out. Do i use a splitter to connect to the amp?

27 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

A single plug for the sub you mean? Sub outputs are mono so splitting it will be fine.

Yes. Only one rca sub out from head unit. So i use a splitter to connect to ch 3 and 4 on amp then bridge 3 and 4 to sub. Rear speakers i just power with the hu.

Can i ask what is so bad with my setup?

Archived