Second Skin Audio

Better to wire down to 0.5 ohm or 1 ohm ? Daily driver

Joshdashef

Hey guys I've been seeing a lot of posts where people are suggesting wiring lower than 1 ohm due to the rise in impedance from the nominal load to playing load as the sub begins to move.

Should I get a dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm fi team 15, wiring to 0.5 and 1 ohm respectively, if I was using a Wolfram 4500.1? Also electrical would be mechman 240 alt / d5100R / D3400 / limitless lithium 45 ah / 0 gauge wiring - two runs. 

Are there trade offs to wiring lower than 1 ohm ? Like shorter amp life ? Less efficiency ? Etc ?

i dont know jack about wolfram amps. i only wire below 1 ohm after i see others doing it on the same amp im using. that said, i have wired to .25 because it was my money on the line and it was a risk i was willing to take. 

that probably didnt help much i guess

That amp suggests a 450amp fuse so at 1ohm your already to low with your 240 amp ALT . That doesn’t even add mids so if you get another 240amp ALT and about 6 batteries u might handle  .5 at like 12-13 volts but u need more power for .5 , why put the hurt on your electrical and at .5  more like 3-4 runs of cable.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

6 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

That amp suggests a 450amp fuse so at 1ohm your already to low with your 240 amp ALT . That doesn’t even add mids so if you get another 240amp ALT and about 6 batteries u might handle  .5 at like 12-13 volts but u need more power for .5 , why put the hurt on your electrical and at .5  more like 3-4 runs of cable.

why wold he need 50 runs of wire if he has a 240amp alt? just add a big battery bank and call it a day. 

I run 4K total with a 250amp ALT , 6 batteries and 3 runs of cable  at .6ohms and drop to mid to high 12’s . 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

well, your rear bank is doing all the work. no need for front to back runs with no ability to maintain that bank. think of it like this, you have 250 amps of alternator, that is all the fusing you need for a front to back run with all those batteries in the rear. 

Front to back runs should only cover what your charging capabilities are unless you are not running any reserve. 

im running a 2500 at .5  plus a 85,4 with 250 amps of fusing on one 1/0 front to rear. the rear battery is soaking most the current. ive even ran two 1500's at .5 with the same wiring. i hold low 13's. im using a 140 amp alt. 

I'd rather not stress my electrical by wiring low then. Since this is my daily I don't intend on adding another alternator beyond a single one. Perhaps upgrading to a higher amp alternator sure but a second one probably not. Thanks for the input guys. 

Gonna go for the dual 2 ohm / wire to 1 ohm and see what voltage I get. I'm thinking the limitless will keep me stable for cruising and small demo runs. 

I run the Wolfram 4500.1 @.5 the past 2 days on a Zv5... I don't dip below 13.5. the numbers I gave you the other day were wrong because my starter battery was completely dead!! Just put a new battery in the day before yesterday. I have 300ah of AGM and I'm fine. I actually spoke with Colin and sent him pictures of what I had before I wired down. 2 group 31's and a high output alternator and you'll be good imo. You're going to rise with that team woofer and you're only going to give it about 1500 watts with the Wolfram. With that said, you have to have the electrical 2 wire down. I'm by no means an expert at all I'm just giving you my real-world experience that I've gone through with this amp. I actually have a couple team woofers also and that amp at 1 ohm wouldn't move that sub. 

11 hours ago, DiBo said:

I run the Wolfram 4500.1 @.5 the past 2 days on a Zv5... I don't dip below 13.5. the numbers I gave you the other day were wrong because my starter battery was completely dead!! Just put a new battery in the day before yesterday. I have 300ah of AGM and I'm fine. I actually spoke with Colin and sent him pictures of what I had before I wired down. 2 group 31's and a high output alternator and you'll be good imo. You're going to rise with that team woofer and you're only going to give it about 1500 watts with the Wolfram. With that said, you have to have the electrical 2 wire down. I'm by no means an expert at all I'm just giving you my real-world experience that I've gone through with this amp. I actually have a couple team woofers also and that amp at 1 ohm wouldn't move that sub. 

Damn really. Is there a better amp combo? 1500 watts is way to little for that sub. 

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

Damn really. Is there a better amp combo? 1500 watts is way to little for that sub. 

Yeah I had to find that out the hard way. As well as a new understanding of what it takes to move these high RMS subwoofers. The difference between the zv5 and team fi is crazy!! I'm by no means saying that the Sundown is a better woofer, it just takes a lot less power to move a woofer like a zv5 than it does a woofer like a team fi. A fully broken in Team sounds nice around 2k RMS. My other woofer was fully broken in and I hit a 145 .79 and 31 Hertz not sure the power but I know it was more than 16 to 1700 Watts. If you don't want to wire down find a amp that does around 2200 watts @4 ohms. Just my opinion and short experience with the team woofer. I did run my other woofer for a few weeks btw

Archived