Second Skin Audio

Zv5 12 SPL surround box help (Joe X?)

bentandbroken

On 9/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, Joe X said:

Since your sub is custom you should post T/S parameters for it.

As it turns out it looks like all the soft parts and the coil might be different from stock. So from the looks of it I'm going to wind up having to measure/calculate the T/S parameters myself. Ive never done this, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I also am going to see if my local shop has a SMD IM-SG to make the process easier. Just so I don't miss something while measuring could you tell which parameters you must know? thanks!

Life's a trip. . . Don't fall.

The first thing that needs to be done is break in the sub, you should probably build a box and play the sub for a few weeks and then get to measure (can also be done free air), you should get the most parameters you can. If measurements are correctly done they should match, I have a way to check that once you post them.

18 hours ago, Joe X said:

The first thing that needs to be done is break in the sub, you should probably build a box and play the sub for a few weeks and then get to measure (can also be done free air), you should get the most parameters you can. If measurements are correctly done they should match, I have a way to check that once you post them.

Okay I've already been playing it for a couple weeks in a test box. I'm not even sure of the boxes actual specs but its roughly 2 cuft and ~30Hz so hopefully its broken in enough. What I will say is i will have to destroy the test box to get the sub out. I *might* have made the cutout out a bit too tight. ?  But I'm hoping I can get it measured today. Wish me luck haha

On 9/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Joe X said:

Okay, I have measured the sub, but these are likely off. Wasn't able to get an IM-SG, and I did my best with what i was working with. So take them with a grain of salt. I have more info from Sundown as well. The based on the pictures the suggested i probably had a stiffer spider and potentially the 8 layer voice coil. They said 2 to 2.25cuft at 35hz and 32in of port area, but they indicated that was better if i have a LOT more power like a 5k or 7.5K at 1 ohm. It was also suggested that i might be able to compromise with the power i have, by building the box larger (2.5 to 3cuft) and tuning at like 40hz with 2 6" aeros. I am not really sure what to do at this point.

I did get a more precise measurement of my current box. It is 2.2cuft net with a single 6" aero tuned at 34hz (port is 25.5" long and has a 90 deg bend in it). So i have that box to fall back on if need be, but i'd like to see what you suggest i do. Also idk if this is possible but i would like to use the rest of this 6" pipe i have about 10 ft of it so there should still be plenty for 2 aeros i think. as far as tuning goals I am interested in getting the most out of the sub on the power I have. Thanks! 

Measurements:

Re- 1.0 Ohm

Fs- 42.5Hz

Qes- .40745

Qms- 8.485

Qts- .3888

Vas- 5.60L

It’s been played. I could free air it for a while I guess. I need to get a more precise multimeter and re-measure. http://sound.whsites.net/tsp.htm is what I followed, but I also recently found. http://www.readresearch.co.uk/measuring_ts_1.php which seems to offer more specific tips more greater accuracy. So I’m gonna redo it tomorrow hopefully. If I can find a better multimeter. Mine is only good for 100 mV increments so it’s hard to get a good reading. I’m open to suggestions this is my first rodeo for measuring T/S.

EDIT: Sd=547.5 measuring to Include half the surround.

As long as you have the time there's a chance you will find acceptable quality parameters, calculating Sd for the standard driver I get 431 square centimeters, reduced Sd is to be expected due to the big surround, could you provide the diameter of the cone without surround? Likely the standard rule does not apply as is in this case.

The other issue is that I don't think that sub is really that much broken in, just by seeing the box specs and power sundown is giving you, probably a free-air break in is in order and for many hours.

If the sites don't get you results I could walk you through a process that it has been reliable for me, something similar to what you have done but a little more failsafe.

If you lose patience you can just go for what sundown has suggested.

Archived