Focal ES100k E90 help

MünürYılmaz

Hey all!

So I finally got myself to commit to a nice audio upgrade. Did a lot of research online on which speakers work best for the E90 and I came to the conclusion of upgrading to the Focal ES100k because it offered high quality with a bunch of clarity. I didn't go with the drop in Focal replacement speakers because I heard they weren't as good...anyways!

There was no doubt in my mind that I HAD to run these really nice speakers on an amplifier. So I bought myself a second hand Hertz HDP 4. Which I was really excited about hearing. I hooked up the front channel as Full-range to the front 4" Focals with the Focal tweeters as well as the under seat woofers. And the rear channel as high pass to the factory rears as tweeters (high pass).

And honestly what a difference this made! So much detail and clarity throughout the whole frequency range. I could finally get some decent midbass from my under seat woofers and the door speakers along with the tweeters just sounded so amazing and just improved the music experience in general.

So all of the above is all good except for one aspect. So I went along and tuned the speakers as much as I could. Changed the listening position to the front right (Right hand drive car UK) and did the appropriate time alignment which made everything so much better BUT ever since upgrading the sound system I always noticed that the tweeters on certain songs was very overwhelming, the it would get to a point where the highs just sounded very horrible. A little overpowering you could say where it would just be screaming in your ears. And I've noticed that playing with the EQ a little bringing down the DB levels from 2k and below would kind of mask the issue and reduce the harsh highs but this meant losing detail in the highs and making the music sound a bit dull.

The crossover does have -3db, 0db and +3db for the tweeter and it's currently on 0db. If I changed it to -3db do you think this will fix the issue or just make the issue less prominent? Anyone got any suggestions?

TLDR: My Focal tweeters are a little too bright and can be very harsh at times, what should I do to fix this?

Note: Opening both front windows does let most of the harsh highs escape the car thus making it less harsh.

• 2 months later...

I know it’s late but yes, bring it to -3db can possibly fix the issue you’re having. Focal k2 drivers are known to be bright, and I own a focal 3 way system myself, and I had to bring down a lot of the higher frequencies to get the tweeters to blend with my mid. Do you have a DSP to the system?

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

Archived