Second Skin Audio

Subs I picked up the other day

Bret

The guy wanted $60 for these in an enclosure full of mouse turds. I noticed right away one of the surrounds was separating from the cone so I told him I'd take them for $40. I should have offered him $20 he would have jumped on it. RFP 1415's I got recone kits for these already. This will be my first speaker rebuild. 

I heard rubbing on the compromised one, so I pulled gently and the surround came right off. The other sub looks intact and reads 3.5ohms but I'm not going to hook it up, no matter how tempting it is. I'm just going to rebuild them both.

Anyone here ever run these before? I'm not expecting much but I'm not trying to move anyone's hair so I'll probably be happy with them.

IMG_0978_lowres.JPG

I got one of these in the 12 version. I had to redo the surround on mine. It took the 250 watts i fed it well and sounded good. You wont win any comps but a pair of those 15s in a well made box would sound good and really compliment a nice mid highs setup.

You've done recone work before? Finding a coil, and soft parts that drop in for those, may not be easy. No way i wanna rain on your parade, but, if it was me, i would have passed on them. I wouldnt have taken them for free, but,  maybe you can find drop in recones that will work, and with all the labor involved in rebuilding them, you like them. Best of luck. 

Never messed with the old basic RF stuff, I think the lowest model I had back in the day was a pair of Punch XLC 12s and they slammed pretty good for back then, but sucked compared to my old Punch Power DVC subs that had an 800a2 on them and a 800a4 on the mids and tweets. Thats one of the systems I wish I still had..

4 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

Never messed with the old basic RF stuff, I think the lowest model I had back in the day was a pair of Punch XLC 12s and they slammed pretty good for back then, but sucked compared to my old Punch Power DVC subs that had an 800a2 on them and a 800a4 on the mids and tweets. Thats one of the systems I wish I still had..

Agree,.. anything OG RF, that has POWER on it...... luv it....

Mathewyocham - 250w to a twelve makes me think I might be Ok giving these 300w each, which is what I plan to do. They are rated pretty low, I forget but I think only 200w or something like that.

Johndee - Hey that's just, like, your opinion man.

No, I took the gamble and bought them, then luckily found the recone kits. I got the last 2 voicecoils they had for this model. The kits are sitting in my bedroom now. Everything I need except I want to put on some push terminals, which I still need to buy.

Right on. You should do a lil build log wen u start reconing. If its something youve never done b sure to ask for advice on here. Lots of knowledgable guys that can help. I dig old school gear no matter wat brand. There is a section for build logs too just so u know. What are these going in? Powered by wat?

Archived