Any need to maintain factory charging wire on 02 Tahoe?

2002 tahoe, have mechman 320 alt. The charging post and electrical connector are in the opposite locations of the factory hookups - factory charging wire won't reach. Now obviously, running a 2/0 cable directly from the alt to battery fused. Question is, any need to make up a new cable going from the little red battery box to the alt?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've installed the alternator and I'm having 2 issues. 1, the alternator is not turning on for around 5 minutes after a cold start. Engine runs purely on battery until the alternator seemingly randomly turns on. 2, battery light keeps flashing in the dash.

I have installed the supplied reclocking harness that mechman includes which hasn't changed anything. I also put on a gates HD green belt to ensure no belt slip was present.

The only thing left I can think of is that the absence of the factory charging wire to the red junction box is throwing off a signal the pcm is looking for.

No, the sensor didn't come about until the 04 models. Try running an extended wire from the red box that will reach the alt, see if it changes anything. If not, then i would swap the OE alt back in, and check your harness to make sure the wiring isnt damaged.

Archived