Second Skin Audio

ZV3 15 box help

Kraken

Ok so I've created a few topics now discussing my zv3 15 and box ideas and such. I have settled on a good ported box. the sub is a Sundown ZV3 15. Power is 2 sundown sae1500's strapped. I need some help getting some box designs. Imma go over basically everything so you guys dont have to ask me a bunch of stuff. Car is going to be either a 2007-14 suburban, 07-11 yukon denali xl, or 07-11 escalade esv. My truck got totaled last weekend by a guy driving under the influence.. id prefer an aeroport, tuning in the mid 30s, no specific preference. I want a daily ground pounder. Im not really worried about numbers but I would like to go for a 145 at the minimum. electrical is a mechman g240, 2 800cca autocraft batteries, and a xs 2100. any designs are very appreciated, and even if you just have some input, please let me know. I want all the knowledge I can get.

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

What generation Zv3 is this sub? Weren't they only rated for 1500W RMS? I know Sundown Fanboys like to run double and triple power to subs, but of the one you have is indeed a 1500W version, I'd reconsider 4K to that sub. 

my zv3 12 took a sundown 6k all day last year. hooked it up at .5 ohms, was clamping almost 5500 to the sub at 40hz. it can take it no problem, it just needs clean power.

1 hour ago, slowfkncar said:

Nah those zv3's would laugh in your face off a 1500.1 lmao, they are similar to nsv1/v2 style woofers in terms of thermal & mechanical power handling.

Looking at somewhere around 4 cubes with an aero  

my 15 is definately able to handle more power. it is laughing at that 1500 rn. sundown put a dyno video up of that amp and it actually almost does 2100 at 1 ohm. im thinking a 2nd one will help, since I have a buddy selling one thats next to new for only a couple hundred. im trying to decide the size aero I need. some people say a 8 inch is fine, some people say I'd need more. not really sure tbh. i want something that will ground pound all day in the 30s and 40s. 

41 minutes ago, Kraken said:

my zv3 12 took a sundown 6k all day last year. hooked it up at .5 ohms, was clamping almost 5500 to the sub at 40hz. it can take it no problem, it just needs clean power.

my 15 is definately able to handle more power. it is laughing at that 1500 rn. sundown put a dyno video up of that amp and it actually almost does 2100 at 1 ohm. im thinking a 2nd one will help, since I have a buddy selling one thats next to new for only a couple hundred. im trying to decide the size aero I need. some people say a 8 inch is fine, some people say I'd need more. not really sure tbh. i want something that will ground pound all day in the 30s and 40s. 

Yeah, no its not going to take 5500 clamped lmao that will rip the spider pack and/or triple joint quickly.

Never been able to take the 12's & 15's beyond 2500/3k clamped, not on music anyway, at that point they are moving pretty hard even in its recommended air space. 

With a 15 z3, i wouldn't go any less than an 8" aero and no more than 3.5 net for that amount of power, unless your targeting a specific frequency.

Go with an 8"aero... or 2 6" aeros for ported but it might get a little long... sometimes compromises have to be made. The 10" I alluded to in the other thread was for the 4th front end where length wouldn't be an issue and I like a decent amt of port area and the tune is mid 40's, the length shoulda been manageable.

For ported you'll need to watch length for a mid 30's tune with 49-56in2 of port. Keep it around 4-4.5ft3 net and it shouldn't be too bad.

As you have more room available idk if you'd consider a slot so compression wont be an issue cause of your power.

Personally I'd go big on port area and smallish on volume with the power you've got.

Aeros limit you to a set area but a slot can be sized.

Something like this ought to work out pretty well...

iFnsWL.jpg

I coulda doubled-up the materials all around with the space you probably got available easily. 

Nice design ^^^ minus the dowel rods for bracing. They don't add anything typically until you're in the 3-4" diameter range. Use something else you brace and you're good to go. I'd also double baffle minimum, but would rather do the entire box at 1.5".

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

And 6K, total fanboy move dude. You're WASTING every Watt past 2500W. The sub is just going to turn it into heat, therefore inefficiency and waste. I wasn't suggesting that the sub won't take over 1500W, but was trying to make sure I was on the same page with RMS ratings and understanding. I don't know why 3K is needed for a 1500W sub. Before someone mentions impedance rise, I am very familiar and likely know more about enclosure design than the average guy on this forum.

Sorry you sidebar your thread. I think you should dump the idea of an aero port in lieu of a nice slot port with a good, sufficient port and and tuning and call it a day.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Alright, so. Slot port it is. I can't decide the tune though, I know I want mid 30's, but cant decide between 32-33hz or 36-37hz. I really dont need to play any lower than 29-30. I prefer 33ish to 45ish. What do you guys recommend?

Archived