Second Skin Audio

ZV3 15 box help

Kraken

7 hours ago, Kraken said:

Do you think its possible to get 3.5 cubes net with a 8 or 10 inch aeroport tuned to 34-36hz? I dont care about the port coming out of the box some.

You can do that, just to give you a quick idea, sub up / port to the side or back if you use an elbow, no need for an partially external port, keep port clearance  8":

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 3.5 ft^3

External Height = 19 in
External Width = 32 in
External Depth = 17 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is  3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 32 x 17

Left & Right Sides = 15 1/2 x 16 3/4

Front & Back = 32 x 16 3/4

Port Quantity and Dimensions:

Number of Ports = 1
Pipe Port Diameter = 8
Pipe Port Length = 25 1/4

fig.jpg

Port airspeed @ 3000W would be 26.7 m/s for a 8" round port,  if you think you can run that kind of power in a truly safe manner.

3 hours ago, Joe X said:

You can do that, just to give you a quick idea, sub up / port to the side or back if you use an elbow, no need for an partially external port, keep port clearance  8":

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 3.5 ft^3

External Height = 17 in
External Width = 35.75 in
External Depth = 17 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is  3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 35 3/4 x 17

Left & Right Sides = 15 1/2 x 14 3/4

Front & Back = 35 3/4 x 14 3/4

Port Quantity and Dimensions:

Number of Ports = 1
Pipe Port Diameter = 8
Pipe Port Length = 25 3/4

Port airspeed @ 3000W would be 26.7 m/s for a 8" round port,  if you think you can run that kind of power in a truly safe manner.

How would the port mount in this box? Being 25.75 inches long, and the box only 35.75, is that 10 inches enough to clear the motor of the sub?

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:17 PM, CleanSierra said:

And 6K, total fanboy move dude. You're WASTING every Watt past 2500W. The sub is just going to turn it into heat, therefore inefficiency and waste. I wasn't suggesting that the sub won't take over 1500W, but was trying to make sure I was on the same page with RMS ratings and understanding. I don't know why 3K is needed for a 1500W sub. Before someone mentions impedance rise, I am very familiar and likely know more about enclosure design than the average guy on this forum.

While it might be less efficient to throw more power on at some point you will definently keep getting gains way pass 2.5k

They didn't hit 160 on this sub till 18k, it didn't quite get a double from 7k-18k (just shy of 3db)

Still gaining all the way up to 18k though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0q3ZVZIws

13 hours ago, DirtyDuzit said:

While it might be less efficient to throw more power on at some point you will definently keep getting gains way pass 2.5k

They didn't hit 160 on this sub till 18k, it didn't quite get a double from 7k-18k (just shy of 3db)

Still gaining all the way up to 18k though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0q3ZVZIws

Most subs will do this, most if not all SPL burp vehicles use the same method to achieve such high numbers.

Modern subwoofers can take ALOT of power for a short while, in the burp/spl crowd nobody is ever surprised if a fresh re-cone only last 20 seconds of 20kw.

The reality of running this much power to a subwoofer daily on music is far from realistic,it will be hot as fuck, and wont be hard to start a fire.

Yeah I'm not trying to put some crazy power onto it, I think the 2 1500's strapped will give me headroom, I don't plan on going all the way up on the gains. But since I already own one, and have a deal on another one that's next to new, it ends up being much much cheaper than a new amp that's larger than the 2 together. My sub is laughing at 1500 watts right now, but I also dont think I need 4k to get it loud. After putting the 6k on my old zv3 12, I dont think im going to have a problem on 3-4k. It would demo a couple songs before it got hot. Then again, I had it in an enclosure that was designed for big power. 

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

Archived