Second Skin Audio

Frying an hcca12

Lowki

36 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Also bret are u talking bout those rockford 10s u have in a cheap prefab box? The reason you have to do that is because of your box. Build a properly specd ported box and your output will increase alot.

When I set up my amp I had a single 10 in a sealed box. When I say I could barely hear it, I mean it was literally a very faint sound that could not be heard without putting my head close to the speaker. It has nothing to do with box design and everything to do with the sub output level on the hu. If the op wants to see if this could be what is causing his problem or wants to ignore this advice, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. I don’t want to argue about it because I’m not posting here to try and prove anything. Just trying to help.

Wat voltage out is your alpine? Use a dmm to measure voltage out at 0 then at +15. Ive never ran an alpine reciever so maybe this is a particular thing for them.

5 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Wat voltage out is your alpine? Use a dmm to measure voltage out at 0 then at +15. Ive never ran an alpine reciever so maybe this is a particular thing for them.

I think it is an Alpine thing. The outputs are only 2v. :(

Alot of decks only have 2v outs. Most decks ive used put out the 2v at 0 and increase sum as u turn up the sub lvl. Have u checked to see wat yours is outputting at 0? And 15? Maybe there is an issue with your deck or with your deck setting such as crossovers.

2 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Alot of decks only have 2v outs. Most decks ive used put out the 2v at 0 and increase sum as u turn up the sub lvl. Have u checked to see wat yours is outputting at 0? And 15? Maybe there is an issue with your deck or with your deck setting such as crossovers.

This sounded weird to me too so I engaged my Google-fu and sure enough he is correct.  It appears that on many Alpine HU's 0 is -15 and 15 is 0,  weird.  

4 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

My deck is outputting full range and I'm using x-overs on the amp. I have not tested the output with a DMM.

The thing is it don't matter where I set the gain on the amp or level on the hu the clipping needle on  the amp is burried in the red I think way too soon. I've spent almost 4k on this system on the past 2 months and it sounds about the same as my planet audio bb3 and the kicker cvx1100 I mean the lows are alot better. And it hits like a sub wired to 1 ohm would sound that's about all that's different. At this rate I'm Gona need 4 of these subs. Idk I'm pissed it sounds like shit I should have bought more cheaper subs. I mean it sounds good if u just crank the shit all the way up and let it burn the coil. Do u think the 15 would be much louder?

Back in the day I had 2 planet audio ztar 12s I think the were 250 rms each but I had them wired to 1 ohm on a rockford t1000bd and I could turn that up way louder than this and I was pumping like 1000wrms to then. If I want the loudest 12 I can get for playing rap music for like a half hour straight what do you recommend. I might check the speaker wire I used I think it was 16 guage but maybe it's too small even tho its obly like 10 inches long

Its difficult to know what to say because 'loud' is so subjective. I think my setup is pretty loud, but I'm sure most of you would probably think it was pretty weak. I'm not convinced that there isn't something going on with the line level signal from the HU. I could be totally wrong. I tried to find a manual for your HU but can't find it.

Archived