Second Skin Audio

Frying an hcca12

Lowki

8 minutes ago, Bret said:

Its difficult to know what to say because 'loud' is so subjective. I think my setup is pretty loud, but I'm sure most of you would probably think it was pretty weak. I'm not convinced that there isn't something going on with the line level signal from the HU. I could be totally wrong. I tried to find a manual for your HU but can't find 

I am not impressed with this headunit. For instance every time you open the graphic eq it resets to default. And only 3 settings for the lpf  80 120 something like 160

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Also I was wrong about my box size.  Here's a like to my shitty box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074R7NGNP?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

At first I thought this box was okay. But now I realize it IS only the carpet holding the  thing together 

Why would you spend the money you did for the amp, sub, and electrical upgrades and buy a shitty prefab box?  

That is likely at least part of the problem if not THE problem.

The bottom line is with that amp and that sub it will get loud.  If it isn't you have a problem in the setup.  

Well I bought that box prior to the sub I had a planet audio bb3 that use to be in the box but the planet audios kept falling apart when they got hot then I bought everything I mean everything from The wires,  the amp,alternator,batter, and hu is new. Tbh I don't know how/where/what ported box to get for rap music 

13 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Well I bought that box prior to the sub I had a planet audio bb3 that use to be in the box but the planet audios kept falling apart when they got hot then I bought everything. Tbh I don't know how/where/what ported box to get for rap music 

If you don't have the resources/skill to build it yourself have a shop build one for you.  If you posted a request in the enclosure forum I guarantee you'd have design in short order.

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Also I was wrong about my box size.  Here's a like to my shitty box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074R7NGNP?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

At first I thought this box was okay. But now I realize it IS only the carpet holding the  thing together 

That box seems to be made of a double layer 5/8" wood, not sure about build quality but considering the high displacement of the sub and the external dimensions, your specs could be around 1.5 net and port area below 30 square inches, would be better if you measured the port dimensions but frankly it looks small if you are trying to get the most of the sub, not to say that's your only problem but definitely that box is the better part of it.

If you can go for a 15" that would make a big difference for sure, you would need like 16.5H and like 3.5-4 net to run it, also more power could help too but just the higher diameter will make a meaningful difference.  

I bought some 1/0  solid aluminum connectors to put on the ends of the wires that plug into the amp. I took copper tape and wrapped the frayed wired ends be for I put them into the connector to make an even more reliable connection. I'm running 2 batteries I have a xs3400 in the trunk with a 1.5ft 1/0 wire connecting it to a 3way distribution block. All my connections are good. The voltage needle on the amp always remains blue and the voltage at the amp didn't go any lower than 14.0v. I have the freq turned all the way down too on the amp. It's Gona be a pita to change that 16gauge wire I used to wire the voice coils. I think I have 8 guage going to the box from the amp. These Are the connectors these need to come with rockford amps https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017DQXE3I?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Used this to crimp the wires 

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-Crimper-Tool-Warranty/dp/B00E1UUVT0/ref=pd_aw_fbt_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0W3SFKHRQ0STG18PVQ7G

Hammer crimping isnt the best and can slowly work loose over time. Hydraulic crimping is the easiest of the best ways. The other is sodering but its a pita with lugs. U can get cheap hydraulic crimpers on ebay or amazon for around 30 bucks. The yellow ones. I have a pair and they work great and ive used them a bit over the few years ive had them.

Archived