Second Skin Audio

1/4 wave/horn enclosure or aero ported box

vnisme

1/4 Wave Flared Vent T-Line/Horn/Bass Reflex Enclosure Calculator - DB DYNAMIX AUDIO

I have a pair of Punch HX2 10's that I am itching to build another box for.  I am going for a musically loud box.  I know everyone wants a musically loud box...
Ive built a T-line for 2 8's before and those hammered in my opinion, a traditional t-line for 2 10's would be way to big, but the 1/4 wave horn is a size I can do.  it would be about 33w x 15h x 20d.  Tuning is around 37-38hz

Then again I am not to sure how much output I would actually be gaining over a traditional ported box.  If I built a ported box it would be significantly smaller, about 2.75 cu ft with a 6 in aero.  tuning would be at 35hz.  

This is going in an 2017 Civic coupe, either in the backseat or in the trunk on ~1000 rms. I heard putting subs in the backseat was worse compared to in the trunk because of cancelation, but I hate hearing trunk rattle.  Opinions?

If you post up the results you have from that enclosure calculator I can put the info in to HornResp for you to compare it with the ported box.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

OK, here ya go.  I modeled the box in Sketchup to pull specs from it for HornResp.

image.png.0320022787f53c21be26e6e40e26d404.png

Here is it compared to a 2.75 cu ft ported box tuned to 35 hz:

image.png.37bca5620f17e4e2e63548f63071a2a9.png

The black line is the ported box, the grey line is the horn.  The tuning on the horn came out right at 38 Hz as the calculator predicted, so that's good.  

As you can see, the ported box reaches a bit lower, due to its lower tuning, but the horn has quite a bit more output above 40 hz, and has flatter frequency response.  As long as you wouldn't miss a couple Hz of low end extension, the horn seems like the way to go.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

6 hours ago, vnisme said:

Thank you, I really appreciate this.  Is the predicted graph using 1000 rms?

Yes, that's 1,000 watts.  Don't worry about the SPL numbers though, that simulation is assuming the box is out in the middle of a field or a huge open room.  In your vehicle you are going to get a lot of cabin gain so your actual SPL numbers will be MUCH higher.  It will also boost your low frequency output significantly.  

Builds:

If you give me the specs on your 4th order bandpass box I can put it in HornResp too for a better comparison.  I probably won't get to it until I get home on Sunday though.  

Builds:

Archived