Second Skin Audio

1/4 wave/horn enclosure or aero ported box

vnisme

Just saw your response in the quarter wave post on tuning.  I cant fit any more length or else the box will get too big for my liking.  I know small box and 1/4 wave box dont exactly go hand in hand.  I dropped the exit port area and can get down to 36hz tuning, according to the calculator.  It seems like the rolloff for the horn is exactly like a ported box, Would you rather go with the 36hz tuning? not sure if the 38hz is a little to high. I  listen to hip hop and normal songs, not to much of the decaf or slowed variety.

Don't cheap mod your 4th to see what happens (likely nothing worth bothering with), model a proper 6th against the horn to compare efficiency vs size vs musicality vs etc. I was suggesting, the thing about 6th is that you can get pretty low can be done real easy, not sure about size but that horn looks pretty large still.

Id honestly be so lost on 6th orders. Series vs parallel, how much port and etc. This was my 1st 4th, bp and im not even sure how well it came out really.  Doesnt sound bad but i believe the output could be greater for 2 10s. Especially when i have seen my 2 8s in a tline in action. 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:41 AM, vnisme said:

The 4th bp now is 1.4 sealed. And ~2.7 ported. 6 in roundport, 6.75 long. Calculators say it should be tuned at 53. Do you think the tuning is fine on the quarter wave horn? Or do you believe it should be more around the fs of the sub?

Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you.  Here is a comparison of the T-line vs your bandpass box:

image.png.99b7b335c00c9904cc51b280d82edb98.png

The black line is the bandpass box, the grey line is the T-line.  

The bandpass box has a higher peak output around its tuning frequency, but the t-line has a much larger and smoother bandwidth.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here's what I have for your 4th order BP: 1.4 rear, 2.7 net @ 49 Hz front, 28.3 sqin port area.

This should be the same as the above plot but with cabin gain (generic) added:

image.jpg

I did find your port tuning is 49Hz as calculated with this software.

What seems to be a big problem is your port area:

image.jpg

* power shown is per driver.

It looks like you should have way more port area to get proper output with this enclosure. I will recheck my data later to be sure.

Archived