Second Skin Audio

1/4 wave/horn enclosure or aero ported box

vnisme

42 minutes ago, vnisme said:

How much port area would you say i need if I did a square port? Sometimes i feel like this 4th bp box is a leaf blower. 

Like 50 square inches of port area 14.5" in length, an  8" round port or a 7" x 7" square port, 14.2" in length Giving more port area wouldn't out of the question but it would likely get impractical.

2 hours ago, vnisme said:

triticum agricolam how do you feel about quarter wave tuning. Should it be tuned towards what you listen to or does the fs have more to do with it? Would you say  tuning higher than the sub fs is generally okay?

I wouldn't worry about the sub's Fs when it comes to box tuning, the Fs of a sub is measured in open air, the second you put in that sub in a box, any kind of box, the Fs changes.  

When it comes to tuning the T-line, I'd tuning it a few Hz higher than the lowest frequency you want to play well.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information guys!  I really appreciate it!

Hey Joe X! 
So I modeled a 6th order parallel tuned enclosure on WinISD and I liked the bandwidth that was graphed.  It was as wide as the tranmission line but a smaller box.  The model was 1.4 cu ft in the rear tuned to 27 and front was .7 cu ft tuned to 59.  Does this seem to small for 2 10's? I am using the old Punch HX2.  I kept the box constant and changed it to 1 sub, and the graph did not look right at all.

No I was checking the projected frequency response on the plot above you see 30-55 seem pretty even but the tuning frequencies are what you chose the plot above is for the spec given which is Rear:2 net @ 27Hz, Front: 1 net @ 57Hz, you can modify this spec as you see fit, when you land in a desired spec and power I will give you ports areas.

I'm going to go with Rear: 2 cu ft @ 30hz and, Front: 1 cu ft @ 59.  Comparing the two graphs, i could be wrong but the bandwidth is almost as wide as the t-line/horn right? My graph on WinISD shows it is close up till 70hz, which i dont think i listen to 70hz+.  This will be going on a pioneer gmd-9601, so ~1000 watts?  What if I wanted to do 2000 watts in the future?

Archived