Second Skin Audio

Help deciding on a sub O_o

image91

Good day all, 

Looking for some opinions. i've asked these questions in posts that i made for other topics but they were just by-the-way. Making a specific post because the time is going by to make a decision & the more perspectives i can get the better. 

Basically, i am upgrading to an Orion Xtr 2500.1d or dz model. Looking for a single sub. System is for everyday playing. Do not want any considerable heating up after playing 30 seconds of a song. i listen to alllllll types of music & am aiming more towards musicality. My preference with regards to bass is along the lines of 28Hz to around 38Hz. Rolling off after that would be perfect. If i can get the response to peak at around 36Hz that would be ideal. While not looking for strictly loud, i would like for the low end output to be on the very heavy side. My current options are between the x-12, x-15, zv5-12 & zv5-15. i'm constantly being told that 2500wrms is not enough to play the speakers optimally. i understand that it would not play them to their fullest potential, but is it that they would not sound good at all for what they are & i'd be better off going something smaller? If push comes to shove i'd have to go with a bigger amp but was hoping to not have to. The current setup for the system will be a single Northstar AGM under the hood & a Mechman 240a.

Any & all opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone who has contributed thoughts to this topic so far ;)

45 minutes ago, image91 said:

....i'm constantly being told that 2500wrms is not enough to play the speakers optimally. i understand that it would not play them to their fullest potential, but is it that they would not sound good at all for what they are & i'd be better off going something smaller? If push comes to shove i'd have to go with a bigger amp but was hoping to not have to....

More power is going to get your more output, but less power isn't going to sound any different from a sound quality perspective, its just not going to be as loud.  

Also, its important to understand that it takes a LOT more power to make a big difference in output.  Going from 1500 watts to 2500 watts, for example, is going to be ALMOST completely unnoticeable.  When you double your output power, such as going from 1000 to 2000 watts, you gain at most 3 db of output.  In practice you usually don't even gain that much.  While 3 db is technically a doubling of sound energy, to you ear most people would describe a 3 db increase as sounding about 10% louder, its perceived as a very subtle increase.  People are often very disappointed when they spend a bunch of money to go to an amp that is twice as powerful as what they had before only to get a barely noticeable increase in output. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Agreed completely. i know people who have been through the exact same situation. Upgrading amplifier to not gain any huge output difference.

So my question is, taking what Triticum said into consideration, on that 2500wrms, would the Xv2 & Zv5 both play musically & hit the low end comfortably/without issues? & sound good doing it? & if yes, which would outperform which for my application? (A musical, heavy low end output)

Would it be worth it going to 3000wrms? or even 4000wrms? i would think that might be pushing the current system i had in mind. Rather keep in the mid 13s if possible voltage-wise. i assume with the extra cost for current & power, i'd also have to be more cautious when playing the system, all for maybe a 1db - 2db gain. 

29 minutes ago, image91 said:

Agreed completely. i know people who have been through the exact same situation. Upgrading amplifier to not gain any huge output difference.

So my question is, taking what Triticum said into consideration, on that 2500wrms, would the Xv2 & Zv5 both play musically & hit the low end comfortably/without issues? & sound good doing it? & if yes, which would outperform which for my application? (A musical, heavy low end output)

Would it be worth it going to 3000wrms? or even 4000wrms? i would think that might be pushing the current system i had in mind. Rather keep in the mid 13s if possible voltage-wise. i assume with the extra cost for current & power, i'd also have to be more cautious when playing the system, all for maybe a 1db - 2db gain. 

The short answer is no, not worth it. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The Zv5 15 (in red) and the X15v2 on the same power model as follows:

swfcmp.jpg

Really similar drives it seems except for power handling. 2500W would be nothing for the Zv5, unless giving it more power maybe money not well spent. 

If you were to spend on a 4000W electrical and amp, it would be much better the two X-12 on the 2500W. you would gain up to 6 dB over one on 1250W, 6 dB is really a meaningful increase of output, besides the box size is very manageable.

I have seen this happen way too often, a buddy has a 1k system and the person decided to upgrade to something way more powerful, only to find they have lost power to the friends system and cannot understand why.

Going from a system that has had a chance to break in will always be louder than a moderate upgrade in power, all subs need to break in to get get their loudest. Subs with an incredible amount of spiders and stiffer surrounds take a very long time to break-in if ever, and that is the point when you run extreme amounts of power to them to keep them from destroying themselves. People often overlook this very thing when making changes to the system they have or are beginning their entry into audio.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

That's another mountain i'll have to climb, trying to figure out how to break in one of those things O_o

So far, i agree with the fact that going with the Xv2 has more pros than going with the Zv5. Still all ears however ;)

Unfortunately with the power i'll be running on it i won't be able to achieve near enough to break it in properly after even an extremely long time, especially not in an enclosure. Was considering free-airing it in moderation but enough to get it moving. Doing some research into the best way in my situation.

Those subs are extremely stiff. Have a feeling once broken in a bit they'll sound even better. Met someone recently with 3000wrms going to his for months now & the sub was still stiff as hell. Lol

@ JoeX, unfortunately still definitely can't afford a second x-12.Very much wish i could, lol. & agreed, would rather spend the extra money on another x-12 than current/power upgrade & get more output.

Still wish i could fit an x-18 but that 7 ft^3 net & 9.5 ft^3+ gross is wayyyy too much. Has anyone ever heard one in a smaller enclosure that sounded decent? 

Archived