Second Skin Audio

Help deciding on a sub O_o

image91

@ Joe X

I was wondering, if it's not too much trouble, if you could possibly model a graph showing an x-15 vs an x-18 on 2500wrms? Tuning around 30Hz. What i wanted to figure out is if a smaller enclosure will drastically affect the output of the x-18 or if it would still out-perform an x-15 if the x-18 is in a smaller enclosure than the recommended 7.0 ft^3 net. By smaller i was thinking maybe the same size as the OA-18 enclosure I am using now? 5.25 ft^3 net, 7.0 ft^3 gross. Saw that some of the other Sundown 18s utilize even smaller enclosures. Eg. The u-18 uses 4.0 ft^3 with 64 inch^2 of port. Maybe check that spec with the x-18 against the x-15?

What do you think? Just trying to explore the available option properly before pulling the trigger ;)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the results:

Sundown Xv2 15"  4.25 @ 30Hz - red plot

Sundown Xv2 18"  5.2 @ 30Hz - yellow plot

Obsidian Audio 18 15"  6.5 @ 30Hz - red plot

15vs18.jpg

So the power is 1K for all subs to be able to compare you current sub with the others, at 2500W the plot would be just the same only about 4 dB up, except that the obsidian would not be able to take the power.

As you can see the Xv2 18" can't play as peaky as the Xv2 15" it proper airspace so the advantage over the 15 would be a wider band and better low end extension over the 15" but the peak output will be pretty much the same.

You can imagine that if the Xv2 18" was put in it's recommended box size it would easily and by far overtake the obsidian.

Also the  Xv2 18" wouldn't need a different port area if drop in your current box.

So pick the 18" over the 15"? Yes for musicality and low end extension but not for an increased peak output over the 15" given that you use your same enclosure.

2 hours ago, Joe X said:

Here's the results:

Sundown Xv2 15"  4.25 @ 30Hz - red plot

Sundown Xv2 18"  5.2 @ 30Hz - yellow plot

Obsidian Audio 18 15"  6.5 @ 30Hz - red plot

15vs18.jpg

So the power is 1K for all subs to be able to compare you current sub with the others, at 2500W the plot would be just the same only about 4 dB up, except that the obsidian would not be able to take the power.

As you can see the Xv2 18" can't play as peaky as the Xv2 15" it proper airspace so the advantage over the 15 would be a wider band and better low end extension over the 15" but the peak output will be pretty much the same.

You can imagine that if the Xv2 18" was put in it's recommended box size it would easily and by far overtake the obsidian.

Also the  Xv2 18" wouldn't need a different port area if drop in your current box.

So pick the 18" over the 15"? Yes for musicality and low end extension but not for an increased peak output over the 15" given that you use your same enclosure.

Wow... If it can play that well in 5.2 cubes why do they suggest so large? I was told if you cut your recommended airspace in ⅓ you'll cut your bandwidth by almost half! And this was by someone well experienced and seasoned at this.... Like major woofer company seasoned. 

Was about to report that i pulled the trigger on the x-15 O_o 

If push comes to shove i guess i can get it changed. Question is, should i? The wider bandwith is preferable by far. As long as the peak is around 35Hz or so & not 45Hz it's perfect. 

Would it make sense to go the x-18 in the smaller 5.25 ft^3 net enclosure in your opinion? Or maybe just use a larger enclosure for the x-15 to widen out the bandwith? 

How does the x-15 in same 5.25 ft^3 net look vs the x-18 in 5.25 ft^3 on 2500wrms @ 30Hz?

44 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Wow... If it can play that well in 5.2 cubes why do they suggest so large? I was told if you cut your recommended airspace in ⅓ you'll cut your bandwidth by almost half! And this was by someone well experienced and seasoned at this.... Like major woofer company seasoned. 

x2. That response looks perfect O_o Didn't think it'd be that much better on the low end bandwith. Thinking after all that i probably should have gone the x-18 in smaller enclosure. 

A big positive of the x-15 is that i can fit the sub on vertical face & keep my trunk pull, utilizing the full 16.5" Height beneath it. As is, the 18 has to fire upward & so i have to leave clearance for excursion. Box is currently 14.25" H. Wasted volume. Big factor there. 

1 hour ago, DiBo said:

Yeah reducing box size with ported boxes almost always gives wider bandwidth, not smaller. This is due to smaller boxes usually having less of a peak in output around tuning. There are exceptions though. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived