Second Skin Audio

Help deciding on a sub O_o

image91

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DiBo said:

Wow... If it can play that well in 5.2 cubes why do they suggest so large?

It's more efficient and therefore louder for a given power, wider band efficiency would require hundreds / thousands watts of extra power or a different box type BUT such boxes need to be larger and therefore not ideal specially for car audio. 

1 hour ago, image91 said:

With that in mind, should i stick more closely to the 4.25 ft^3 spec for the 15? Or go with a larger enclosure? 

You can use your current box building and adapter for your 15" sub, the sub should mechanically hold but the output will be too peaky, listen to it and decide if you should build the smaller box, the smaller box will improve musicality somewhat.

3 hours ago, Joe X said:

You can use your current box building and adapter for your 15" sub, the sub should mechanically hold but the output will be too peaky, listen to it and decide if you should build the smaller box, the smaller box will improve musicality somewhat.

Think i'll build a 4.25 ft^3 net enclosure, tunes to 30Hz. Port area around 67.5 inch^2, port length 40.75". Used Triticum's improved port calculator & got 80 inch^2 @ 2500wrms as optimal port area but the port length was too long. Trying to keep it there just kept moving the specs around too much so dropped the port area a bit to maintain the tuning & volume. Any adjustments i should make instead? Or does that sound solid for now?

3 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Yeah reducing box size with ported boxes almost always gives wider bandwidth, not smaller. This is due to smaller boxes usually having less of a peak in output around tuning. There are exceptions though. 

It always amazes me, people that don't understand the true nature of a ported enclosure is to BE peaky. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

4 hours ago, image91 said:

Think i'll build a 4.25 ft^3 net enclosure, tunes to 30Hz. Port area around 67.5 inch^2, port length 40.75". Used Triticum's improved port calculator & got 80 inch^2 @ 2500wrms as optimal port area but the port length was too long. Trying to keep it there just kept moving the specs around too much so dropped the port area a bit to maintain the tuning & volume. Any adjustments i should make instead? Or does that sound solid for now?

67.5 square inches of port area will be just fine at 30HZ like 18 m/s of peak air velocity @ 2500W, up to lower 20s you will still be fine.

2 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

It always amazes me, people that don't understand the true nature of a ported enclosure is to BE peaky. 

Inside a vehicle ported is almost always peaky at different levels but in an outdoors environment ported can play flat,  with some drivers and proper alignments you may get almost perfectly flat response. If you only do audio work on vehicles it's easy to get that impression.

6 hours ago, Joe X said:

67.5 square inches of port area will be just fine at 30HZ like 18 m/s of peak air velocity @ 2500W, up to lower 20s you will still be fine.

Sounds good bro. Will go with this spec. Looking to work on it on Monday. Hopefully everything goes according to plan. Thanks to everyone for the opinions, advice & words of wisdom! :) 

Kinda like just looking at this thing, too bad it has to go in an enclosure O_o

19 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

I disagree. 

The true nature of a ported box is to boost low frequency output below where the sub's output would naturally be rolling off.  That capability is simply a tool, and that tool can be used in many ways.  It certainly can be used to get peaky output if that is what you desire, but it is definitely not limited to just that.   Some of the best sounding home audio speakers in the world have ported enclosures, and they DEFINITELY do not have peaky output. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I disagree. 

The true nature of a ported box is to boost low frequency output below where the sub's output would naturally be rolling off.  That capability is simply a tool, and that tool can be used in many ways.  It certainly can be used to get peaky output if that is what you desire, but it is definitely not limited to just that.   Some of the best sounding home audio speakers in the world have ported enclosures, and they DEFINITELY do not have peaky output. 

By design(theory), they're supposed to have a boost in output at tuning. Not SUPPOSED to be flat, I'm not saying what they CAN or CAN'T be, just the purpose behind their design and concept.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived