Sonic Electronix

Is 18g pure copper wire enough for a 1000rms sub?

My buddy used 18g pure copper wire to hook up to 2 jl 12w7s 1000rms each sub and connected it to a 2400rms amp running at 1.5 ohms.

The wire was so thin but he assured me its ok and plus its pure copper so it is better than regular speaker wire

So..the result was meh from the subs..trying to eliminate possible reasons why they didnt perform better..it could be cuz they were in a sealed box or it could be because the 18g wire is too thin not enough strands so not enough wattage is being carried over..

Would like some opinions on this. Is the 18g wire def a no go and prob causing the lack of performance?

Thanks

Psssh, rookie hour, I once powered a 10,000 watt boss amp with a an old lamp cord i found the trash.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That seems awfully thin....even for pure copper. Why cheap out with such high dollar subs?

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

Whether right or wrong I would NOT do it.  $0.02

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Thanks everyone for your responses. I too was thinking it was way too thin. Like there was maybe only 15 strands or so..

Perhaps it was used out of convenience..beats me. Anyways, Im going to swap it out for 12 to 14g and see what happens. 

10 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I too was thinking it was way too thin. Like there was maybe only 15 strands or so..

Perhaps it was used out of convenience..beats me. Anyways, Im going to swap it out for 12 to 14g and see what happens. 

8.  swap it out for 8 guage.

Archived