2002 Dodge Dakota, Bed Cut Through, Work in Progress

I also made a panel to house two relays and a fuse bank for the LED's. One of the relays goes to the fuse bank for the LED lights I'm going to spread out around the interior. The other relay is for the accessories including the backup camera, the dash camera, the antenna, and the volt meter.

Kick_Panel_Relays_zpsbyv7xfcb.jpg

It's going to be mounted behind the passenger side kick panel.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grand scheme includes a two tone paint job with accents on the interior. I used to own a Dakota with the Dodge Amber Fire Pearl paint. I always loved that color, so I'm using that as my secondary on this build.

Amber%20Fire_PV3_92156%202047_zpshzxmjkw

Since I'm working on the interior first, I decided to try my hand at painting some of the interior pieces. I've never done any painting aside from spray cans, so this is a first for me. It also ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated. I used the following items:

An Earlex Spraystation HVLP system

Earlex_SprayStation_zpsxwnjlhwk.jpg

Various sanding and buffing products

Products_zpsehdyzrdd.jpg

I started with the top portion of the center console first since it was already removed. I also decided to try the dash panel as well, since I figured it would be best to spray them both together as it's more efficient

Center_Before_Sanding_zpstemt3sm9.jpg

First I sanded off the texture

Center_Sanding2_zpsp87iremk.jpg

Center_Sanding_zpsgmrs54bh.jpg

I then used a plastic adhesion spray so the primer would stick. After that, I sprayed on a base primer coat so I could see any missed blemishes or scuffs from sanding

Center_First_Primer_zpsitrjcaif.jpg

At this point, I left it and got to work on the dash panel. For this build, I'm installing a double-din HU. As some of you may know, the older Dakota were notorious for having Din and a half stereos. This meant you could only go with a single din unit, or seriously modify your dash and to house a double-din version. I've always wanted to go with a DD HU, but was always to timid to cut up my dash, fearing that it wouldn't look clean.

Well low and behold, 16 years later, and well after the Dakota was put out to pasture, Metra decided to come out with a simple double-din dash kit. I don't know why they waited so long, LOL, but the timing couldn't have been more perfect

Metra_Kit_zpsadsyqyng.jpg

Metra_Kit2_zpsq718vxaf.jpg

This is the HU I'm going with:

Head_Unit_zpswq7q3zb9.jpg

The Metra kit does require some cutting, but the instructions and template are good enough that it's relatively easy. However, I ended up cutting quite a bit more of the metal bracing behind the dash than the instructions made out, but it all worked out

The original stereo opening, din and a half (lame)!

Dakota_Dash_Before_zps3mz7fpok.jpg

The kit includes a template so the cut is easy and you know if lines up with the mounting brackets

Dash_FirtsCut2_zpso46aogkj.jpg

This is the trim piece that comes with the kit. Just pops onto the panel, easy!

Dash_Bezel_zps2wbnfs9y.jpg

I decided to sand off the weird checkerboard texture and fill in the groove on the panel face before painting. I used this plastic epoxy to fill in the gap and texture.

Dash_Epoxy_zpsyxgach7h.jpg

Dash_Epoxy_Applied_zpsymczukfd.jpg

I also wanted the radio bezel to attach to the dash panel before paint, so I epoxied the bezel on and started sanding down the dash panel.

Dash_Epoxy_Sanded_zpsl7axcfel.jpg

More sanding... and some Bondo

Dash_Epoxy_Sanded_More_zpsv528fazi.jpg

After sanding the panel down, I shot it with some primer to check for blemishes and missed spots

Dash_First_Primer_zpsumgxr5zx.jpg

After some sanding adjustments, I shot it again

Dash_Second_Primer_zpshzop8qsi.jpg

Once I got everything smoothed out, I shot both the center console, and the dash panel with a couple more coats of primer. Sanded them down and tacked them off to get them ready for paint

Dash_Center_Final_Primer_zpsrjutquyf.jpg

Luckily the paint is premixed, so I just pour it in the gun and shoot

Center_Before_Clear_zpsp44qaudm.jpg

After a few coats of base, I shot the clear

Center_Dash_AfterClear_zpscx529gd7.jpg

Center_Close_After_Clear_zpsdsylx0f5.jpg

Dash_After_Clear_zpsehtnousf.jpg

The light inside makes the paint look redish, but it is orangish pearl in the sun. After letting the clear coat cure for a week, I wet sanded both pieces to remove the orange peel texture

Dash_Wet_Sand_zpsrpk1qmxm.jpg

Center_Wet_Sand_zpsrt71aw46.jpg

After the wet sand, I dried everything off, wiped it all down and proceeded to buff

Center_AfterSand_BeforeBuff_zpsuxazjian.

Center_Close_After_Buff_zpscvry3mnt.jpg

Center_Finished_Close_zpsgl5wmpch.jpg

This is where I ran into some issues as I buffed a little too vigorously in a few spots and rubbed out the clear and base, right down to the primer

Center_Blemishes_zps0y0lxtnt.jpg

And here's both pieces finished

Dash_Final_zps4fnoflj1.jpg

Center_Finished_zpsrlwz130n.jpg

As is typical with me, I decided to adjust the dash and remove the HU trim. I want to make it interchangeable, depending on my mood, so I'm going to keep a black version and an orange version and swap them out when I feel like it

Double_Din_Bezels_zpsrercs6at.jpg

So now I need to fix the paint blemishes on the center console (where I buffed too hard), and I need to repaint the dash panel, and the HU bezel separately.

If anyone has any tips on how to remove the clear so I can repaint everything, please let me know? Do I have to strip everything back to the plastic? Do I only strip down to the primer?

That's about all I have for now. I lost my garage until January, so I wont be able to post much more until I can dig in again. But if I do anything new, I'll make sure to post here. 

Changed to Flickr for photo hosting, Photobucket sucks.

Finally got around to the install. While installing the equipment, I started coming up with ideas to change up the system. Looks like the current iteration isn't going to last long. First up, I started wiring up the fuse holders at the battery.

0_Gauge_Crimp

Fuse_Blocks_Before

The electric tape will be replaced with heat shrink once I get my new battery and battery terminals installed. I also have 2 gauge to swap out for the big 3, that's what the second fuse holder is for.

Fuse_Block

Finished_Fuse_Block

200A_Fuse

Archived