2002 Dodge Dakota, Bed Cut Through, Work in Progress

Time to install the box...finally! It's a super tight fit, but it works. Had to put some foam pads underneath the back of the box in the bed to accomodate the weight of the box during the cab/bed flex.

Photo Jul 07, 3 41 49 PM

Photo Jul 07, 3 42 03 PM

Photo Jul 07, 3 51 43 PM

Photo Jul 07, 5 20 33 PM

Photo Jul 07, 5 20 55 PM

Photo Jul 07, 5 20 24 PM

Photo Jul 07, 5 20 04 PM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the box in, time to do the amp rack and wiring.

I ran the 0 gauge power and ground under the cab, so I didn't have to run it under the carpet inside. There's a chanel on the bottom of the cab that runs the length of the frame. I ran the power wire along that chanel. The ground just ran through the cab to the frame underneath.

Photo Jul 08, 11 49 24 AM

Photo Jul 08, 11 49 37 AM

Photo Jul 13, 3 18 27 PM

The Amp rack has a lighted plexi cover in the center to highlight the power and grounding blocks. The rack is similar to my previous build.

Photo Jul 10, 2 16 15 PM

Photo Jul 10, 2 16 07 PM

Photo Jul 14, 4 34 13 PM

Photo Jul 14, 4 51 18 PM

Amp install time!!! Another test fit.

Photo Jul 20, 2 50 43 PM

Subs installed and getting the wiring dialed in.

Photo Jul 24, 12 09 55 PM (7)

Covered the amp rack in vinyl to match the rest of the interior.

Photo Jul 22, 5 28 06 PM

Amps are in and wired up. Used Stinger wire ferrules to keep the install pretty clean.

Photo Jul 24, 12 09 55 PM (6)

Photo Jul 24, 12 09 55 PM (4)

And it lives!

Photo Jul 24, 5 42 12 PM

Photo Jul 24, 5 42 26 PM

Added the bass knob and switch for the lights.

Photo Aug 12, 11 27 25 AM

Also painted the light tan interior pieces to match the dark grey of the rest of the interior. 

Photo Jul 28, 3 52 07 PM

Photo Jul 28, 3 52 36 PM

Also included dual volt meters on the A pilar. I definitely need new battery and alt. My voltage never goes above 13.2 with the engine on.

Photo Aug 12, 11 27 12 AM

That's it for now. I'll get video of the completed interior and of the system playing once I have a chance. As far as changes go, I'm going to build a new box, to the same specs, but cleaner. No carpet, 100% paint, with a trim ring. I'm also going to move the amps to the center consol. As they are now, they restrict my seats going all the way back. It makes the drive very uncomfortable, especially for the passenger.

As far as the system goes, it sounds freakin great in my opinion. For my first ported box build, the sound is perfect for my musical taste. I used the CC-1 and DD-1 for dialing in the gains on the amps as well. made a huge difference. I gotta say thanks to @Triticum Agricolam  for all the wisdom he threw out. I used his calculator to spec the port, and he always answered my questions when asked. Also thanks to everyone for their info and comments. This is a great community!

Looking good! I'm about to start a blow through project on my Silverado. I'm nervous! I'm taking screenshots of all your work! Mine won't nearly look as good as yours... but like I said, I'm taking notes! Keep up the good work! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Looking good! I'm about to start a blow through project on my Silverado. I'm nervous! I'm taking screenshots of all your work! Mine won't nearly look as good as yours... but like I said, I'm taking notes! Keep up the good work! 

Thanks man! I started this build in 2007, and I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the year. Would love to see the progress on your Silverado. Don't be nervous, once you make that first cut, it's on, and it's adicting!

1 hour ago, aburger said:

Thanks man! I started this build in 2007, and I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the year. Would love to see the progress on your Silverado. Don't be nervous, once you make that first cut, it's on, and it's adicting!

I started a build log, but I'm still buying the pieces. I'm hoping you've figured out the water problem because that's what's been worrying me. It'll help that my cousin is a welder for fun and an industrial waterproofer by trade. I really liked the idea of a metal sleeve. Might have to steal that idea. Hopefully I can get started in a month or two. My goal is to get mine done before Christmas. We'll see. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived